Paul Hynes power supplies nobody does it better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah, I see...

I did not see any real specs or performance graphs on his site.
Potentially good, I guess.

One might read the various threads here on high performance regulators, including the Salas and the Jung/Didden. Also iirc, Linear Audio mag did a shoot out of the top contenders, including some others like the Systrom... (I speeled that wrong, I think that is Per Ander's work??)

...this should keep you busy for a few days or so... :D

Hi Ed, long time no seen!

You mean the upside down references?

Jan

Sort of. He is selective of parts for pleasing distortion profiles, bypasses the op amp properly and tries to balance the input impedance to the op amp.

Now a follower is better than a gain stage on the power shunt transistor, and I prefer a simple resistor for the current source rather than an active current source. He uses both in an interesting balance.

The circuit is not quite as simple as it seems. Looking at the output DFT would show magnetic vs. electric field issues and possible in band resonances.

In such configuration, bypassing opamp with small value ceramic cap can produce oscillations. Trying to balance input impedances presented to the inverting and noninverting input for CFA is nonsense, he is certainly not doing this. CFA is very unbalanced by design and value of feedback resistor is prescribed for particular CFA, it can not be freely chosen.

Another problem is CFA can only source current, it can not sink it, therefore you are limited to NPN or N-channel MOSFET and you can only use Colector or Drain as your feedback node. Please see Walt Jung EXAMPLE, he is using PNP's Emitter as feedback node.

Anyway, this is an old PH design. In his later shunt reg designs some things are improved, but still nothing magical or special.

The regulator circuit you are discussing is one of my older designs.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/192342-pushing-limits-regulator.html#post2854372

The circuit shown in the link above was actually modified by Bob Kenyon, before he passed the circuit information on to Peter Daniels to try on his TDA1543 DAC. When I sent the regulator to Bob there was no ceramic cap on the module. This is something Bob added when he replaced the organic polymer CFA decoupling capacitor, that I usually fit, with a Black Gate capacitor causing stability problems. When I designed this regulator circuit the organic polymer CFA decoupling capacitor was the only type of capacitor that maintained circuit stability in such a wide bandwidth, high-speed circuit. The ceramic capacitors I tried required a low value series-damping resistor to avoid parasitic oscillations. The original design used a P channel logic level mosfet but when the manufacturers/distributors started thinning their inventory in favour of the more popular N channel mosfets I re-designed the circuit to allow the use of the N channel devices. The CFA input terminals are not the same as voltage feedback opamps, so I could not just swap the input terminals to compensate for the mosfet polarity change. To maintain the correct phase of the feedback loop, I had to move the voltage reference from the negative rail to the positive rail thus allowing the normal CFA feedback terminal arrangements. It is a mistake to confuse CFAs with voltage opamps as their performance differences are considerable.

The circuit is deceptively simple but offers very good sound quality. I have been using CFAs for voltage regulator designs since 1993, in both series and shunt topologies. I guess their use for this application was novel back then and certainly not “bog standard”. I also use several other proprietary circuit designs in my power supplies that do not rely on CFAs.

Are my power supplies better than anyone else’s designs? This is not for me to say, but, as audiostar reports, lots of people are now comparing, using and liking them and replacing some previously highly regarded power supplies with them.

Regards
Paul

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was looking at what updates were possible for my Shigaclone based on Peter Daniel's thread and my searches let me here.

One thing I want to point out... the .01 opamp PS bypass capacitor Stormsonic said was ceramic was actually specified as a .01 Black Gate NX in the various 'Pushing the Limits...' threads.

And as Paul notes above, that may not be the best choice from a stability perspective.

Not that this adds much to the discussion, but that was bothering me.

Greg in Mississippi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.