Mains rectifier currents into SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

We have designed an offline SMPS for 330W maximum, Class D amplifier supply.

The mains input is 90VAC to 265VAC.
-We have a voltage doubler link for when its used in places with 90VAC........

We have NO power factor corrector stage, as it would have made it too expensive.

On continuous maximum load, at 90VAC, the mains input current consists of a train of pulses at 100Hz, and above 20 Amps in magnitude.

Obviously the input current harmonics are enormous, and we are wondering if we will get through the regulatory body requirements?

-The thing is, though we can put a Voltech PM100 power analyzer on the input and get the values of the harmonics, we cannot find what the regulatory body requirements are in respect of this.

Do you know how we can find out.?

I tried compliance-club.com but couldnt find it on there.

Google searching this also reveals nothing.

Also EN61000-3-2 does not seem to depict our situation, but just seems to talk generally about it.

Thanks for the links but i couldnt find info there...

I am coming to the conclusion that for offline audio SMPS's, it is simply not possible to find a document explaining what are acceptable levels of mains current harmonics flowing into a non power factor corrected SMPS for audio usage.

I believe that audio smps's don't need pfc, -but the only reason i believe that is that i see off-the-shelf offline smps's from Abletec and coldamp which are on the market and don't have PFC, despite being rated to 100's of Watts.

I do not believe that there is a document that actually states that PFC is not required for audio SMPS's.

I do not get enlightened on this by reading EN61000-3-2.

Does any reader know how audio SMPS manufacturers find out the regulations that they need to design to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.