Switcher EMC design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lots of people on this site build there own SMPS's, and modulated SMPS's (class D) these articles are for their information, as how many of them have their designs and layouts EMC tested. How many of them understand high frequency design, one wonders, or the implications of EMC, or how much noise these things can generate.
I personaly I like doing SMPS layout, I find it fun, and a break from the monotany of digital layout, the large DI/Dt adds a bit of spice to life:)
As to the elctonic smog, PLT (power line communications) is only going to make things worse, but BT have had an excemtion from ofcom as the basis of PLT is adding EMI to the 50Hz powerlines.
The other thing that prompted me to post this information, is the fact that I have seen comments on threads for switching circuits, wher views such as EMC dosn't matter as it is a diy design!!!

I personaly I like doing SMPS layout, I find it fun, and a break from the monotany of digital layout, the large DI/Dt adds a bit of spice to life
Yes, you have the advantage of knowing what you are doing. This will also mean that you know when you are nearing the limits of your understanding so need to be more cautious. Some people don't have this advantage - they merely blunder on.

Actually, the odd DIYer getting it wrong will probably have less effect (unless he has a radio amateur or SWL next door) than the widespread EMC abuse perpetrated by people who should know better.

I live next door to someone who changed their network from wireless to powerline based netwrok a few months ago, I used to have a wirless TV transmitter for watching SKY in bed. When they changed I ended up watching their data insted.
What worries me with EMC and DIY is that people go to the limits to improve the sound, and yet EMC or lack of EMC awareness is probably causing them problems. The problem is though is having the equipement to test for EMC. Maybe a DIY EMC testing thread, to investigate how some basic testing could be done with basic equipement.

Marce,

Thanks for posting all those links (just skimmed through them quickly).
It's been many years since I've done a SMPS design (120KHz and that was relatively fast then) but at least in those days a simple 50MHz current probe really did reveal a lot about the design. Both time and frequency domain measurements of especially the input and output common mode currents to some metallic plane gave me a very stable technique to measure differences when evaluating differences in design or implementation (same with differential current but that was always easier to measure and specify).
Of course one needs some goal for these measurements, in my case the sensors powered from the SMPS ultimately gave the me the "the noise limit is no longer the SMPS" which turned out to be 2mA common mode current in my configuration and test set. This very simplified and approximate technique held up for many years (and the final complete sensor units would then be EMC tested).

Thanks again
-Antonio

Rather late and tardy, but here is an update on the series of articles by Keith Armstrong, sorry.

An update on the Keith Armstrong articles on EMC and power converters...

http://www.compliance-club.com/pdf/issue95.pdf
EMC design of high-frequency power “switchers” and “choppers” Design techniques for HF isolating transformers

http://www.compliance-club.com/pdf/issue96.pdf
EMC design of high-frequency power “switchers” and “choppers” Design techniques for LF (mains) rectifiers

http://www.compliance-club.com/pdf/issue97.pdf

EMC design of high-frequency power “switchers” and “choppers” Design techniques for high frequency (HF) output rectifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.