SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Common mode noise can intrude rails. Oscillation is not random, its periodic as created by self instability. Looks like a crooked sine or a bad triangle. A scope triggers on it and you won't miss if it ever appears riding on the rails of your equipment.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ground pollution it was Yoda says. Disappeared with 200 kHz bandwith limiter. Probe on negative rail
View attachment 1307361

View attachment 1307365
Short ground needle accessory on naked nose probe helps picking less interference than with probe's neck ground return crock wire. Due to much less inductance and narrow loop area very near to nose pin.

nose gnd.jpg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes I get quite different results on my kitchen table just by placing things different. I need to get my little lab bench in order, but it is serving as some kind of junkyard storage right now :rolleyes:

It is double isolated with grounded metal. It makes quite a difference. Also only uses led lights with transformers on a distance etc.

I was perplexed when I saw the line changing quite a bit in thickness for example weather I had the ac plug in the tx box plugged or not, even with the switch off. So line or neutral, not both was in connection with tx primary, that was the only thing.

Projects pile up… well as long as it is fun :LOL:

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was perplexed when I saw the line changing quite a bit in thickness for example weather I had the ac plug in the tx box plugged or not, even with the switch off. So line or neutral, not both was in connection with tx primary, that was the only thing.
Noise enters a loop from everywhere including protective earth. A clever check you did was DUT off. If the noise is still there its from the test set up. Also easy is to flip the Schuko exchanging live and neutral and see if noise changes.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is very convenient to work with, decent auto setup to quickly find results and just to take the laptop and scope to where you are also makes it slick. Plus the good generator as you say. As long as there is no high voltage or many MHz or GHz oscillations to look for it does the job very well. I have bigger ones as well but this is used 9 out of 10 times. Handy for online discussions also. Just save to png, no shaky photos of phosfor screens etc :)

Reactions: 1 user