• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Using fiberglass instead of cotton felt for lining Frugel-Horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wow, are you *in* Lebanon now??

I'd be afraid to go outside, I think...

_-_-bear

Yes, I'm in Lebanon :)
You won't be afraid to go outside, simply because it's not as bad as it looks on TV, proof of that is that I'm more concerned with damping material than I am with what's happening over here :)
(foreign media do tend to blow things out of proportion)
Plus, 15 years of civil war ends up building a resilient society.
Back to my FH3 build ;)

Yes, I'm in Lebanon :)
You won't be afraid to go outside, simply because it's not as bad as it looks on TV, proof of that is that I'm more concerned with damping material than I am with what's happening over here :)
(foreign media do tend to blow things out of proportion)
Plus, 15 years of civil war ends up building a resilient society.
Back to my FH3 build ;)

Syria on the other hand must be a pretty damned scary place right now - unless the international media has got that all wrong.

back to the FH3 - as Dave mentioned earlier, probably a good idea to construct the enclosures with one removable panel to allow for adjustment / experimentation with fill materials and levels - a couple of builders have come up with brilliant methods of accessing through the top.

Syria on the other hand must be a pretty damned scary place right now - unless the international media has got that all wrong.

back to the FH3 - as Dave mentioned earlier, probably a good idea to construct the enclosures with one removable panel to allow for adjustment / experimentation with fill materials and levels - a couple of builders have come up with brilliant methods of accessing through the top.

Syria is a totally different situation....

I have gone and used the 50kg/m3 fiberglass for now, the stuffing and most of the fiberglass is reachable through the driver opening, and eventhough I was aware of the methods devised to have an access to the stuffing through a removable top panel , my haste and excitement got me to glue up all the panels... :eek:
Should make for an "interesting" tuning process to say the least.

I have already done some preliminary listening with the FF125WK mounted in them, and while the results seem promising, tuning the stuffing is definitely needed as the lower frequencies are much exaggerated even with the enclosures pulled more than a meter from the rear wall.
Furthermore, experimentation tends to show that a suprabaffle might help a lot in balancing out some of the higher bass frequencies.

Anyway, I'll be starting a thread on the build and the tuning soon. (as soon as I get the second enclosure glued up and singing.

Regards

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.