• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had asked about these in another thread. Wow! These are going to be something special! I will be following this with great interest. And yes, as it sounds like it's going very well, I will probably want a pair of these!

I know of someone else that is wating on these:D and the 7 version as well.

start collecting those empties now

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
T for Trapezoid. TT is Tall Trapezoid

dMarKen73t-3dX.gif

dave

Reactions: 1 user
I will add the bracing!

I love my "overbuilt" speakers! I like the sound of the drivers reproducing the sound of musical instruments. I don't want the cabinets adding their voices to the music, other than providing the proper environment for the drivers.

Just my opinion. I know there are a lot of people who like to let their thin walled cabinets sing! I think they just like them because they are easier/cheaper to build.

Just my 2 cents.

So any 10.2 MAOP trapezoid or tall trapezoid designs in the works?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With yours and Chris' talent level, I am surprised you haven't done a curved version. Do you have a comparison of the T vs TT? How would bracing affect sound. I have yet to add bracing to my Ken's?

So far there is only one TT (single driver), it is for the A10.2. TT should go lower as the TT is larger. Otherwise they should be similar.

The brace is an essential part of the 'kens. It adds essential bracing to the 4 unbraced walls and more importantly shunts driver reactionary energy away from the baffle.

dave

With yours and Chris' talent level, I am surprised you haven't done a curved version.

Curving a single vertical panel wall wouldn't be all that much of an issue - there are several approaches that'd work, but getting adequate consistency / accuracy in the three layers that create side mounted port slots would be rather trickier. Some folks have suggested stacked lamination & CNC machining, but material waste and cost of run time aside, the overall height of port slots complicates that somewhat (even with laminated material of appropriate thickness and mirroring of machining patterns) , as would registration of stacked layers.

I have given it some thought, and for me at least, the aesthetic cool factor is trumped by practical considerations and the limit of my skill-set.

Do you have a comparison of the T vs TT? How would bracing affect sound. I have yet to add bracing to my Ken's?
even on smaller boxes, we've found that light as possible construction and bracing helps transient response and lower level detail by raising frequency of panel resonances and reducing speed of storage/release

Last edited:
I love my "overbuilt" speakers! I like the sound of the drivers reproducing the sound of musical instruments. I don't want the cabinets adding their voices to the music, other than providing the proper environment for the drivers.

Just my opinion. I know there are a lot of people who like to let their thin walled cabinets sing! I think they just like them because they are easier/cheaper to build.

Just my 2 cents.

depending on the material not necessarily cheaper (high quality plywood costs much more than MDF), but yes perhaps easier on the back (unless void cavities are sand filled)

and I've heard more than a few "well built" cabinets - and not all DIYs - that have sucked emotional energy / dynamism from music - well, sometimes the whole speaker system/XO etc have just sucked

So any 10.2 MAOP trapezoid or tall trapezoid designs in the works?

depending on the material not necessarily cheaper (high quality plywood costs much more than MDF), but yes perhaps easier on the back (unless void cavities are sand filled)

and I've heard more than a few "well built" cabinets - and not all DIYs - that have sucked emotional energy / dynamism from music - well, sometimes the whole speaker system/XO etc have just sucked

Yes, I have been guilty of building toooo heavy/solid cabinets and using bracing to boot! I have gone back and removed bracing/stuffing in those cases to improve the sound. But I believe there is a happy medium as I don't like really lively sounding cabinets. For me they just cover up the more accurately musical sounds being made by the drivers. Maybe my ears are just weird that way.

MAOP - Black colour also available

Hi fellas,
A quick message to let you know MAOP cones (100 units) should be made at the Taipei (Taiwan) factory in the next month. Hoping to receive these components before Chinese new year (Jan 23 2012).

The factory have been experimenting with the process and can now produce a charcoal black colour.

Both white and black are now available. Which colour would be preferred?

Cheers
Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.