Acapella TW-1S Plasma - most ultimate sounding Tweeter in the World?

Repair-Service (replace of parts e. g. the tube PL519) must take place regularly and as I know, only Acapella itself can perform this. This is a great disadvantage.
Therefore I am looking for basic literature concerning this approach - independent of this it would be interesting to know, whether exist alternatives with similar sonic quality (like ATC, Stage Accompany SA8535, Alcone etc.).
Acapella Acapella TW1 Ionenhochtoner (1143640714) | Gebrauchtgerat | Lautsprecher, Kopfhorer | Angebot auf audio-markt.de
https://web.archive.org/web/20211026001615/http://www.plasmatweeter.de/acapella.htm
http://www.plasmaspeaker.de/bausatz-01.html (maybe successor ?)
A Capella/ATR TW-1S
수입오디오-장터 - 아카펠라 프라즈마 이온 트위터
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/07/acapella-ion-tw-1s-ionic-tweeter.html
Who can upload a service manual ?

Attachments

• AcapellaTE-5.jpg
    AcapellaTE-5.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • tw-1s.jpg
    tw-1s.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 891
  • Ionenhochtoener_TW_1S.jpg
    Ionenhochtoener_TW_1S.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 708
  • abe77b836cae3959a8190ed1b1ad18e5.jpg
    abe77b836cae3959a8190ed1b1ad18e5.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 702
  • b4b9fbc34a351fdc7b7147d554918e07.jpg
    b4b9fbc34a351fdc7b7147d554918e07.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 632
  • DSCF7874.jpg
    DSCF7874.jpg
    978.6 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF7868.jpg
    DSCF7868.jpg
    984.5 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCF7867.jpg
    DSCF7867.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCF7865.jpg
    DSCF7865.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 420
  • corona-offen-large (4).jpg
    corona-offen-large (4).jpg
    217 KB · Views: 716
  • ION-TW1_engl.pdf
    395.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Ultimate is in the ear of the beholder. The TAD ET 703 if you can score a pair is great. Large Fostex t500 mk2 or Mk3 is also excellent. Another possibility is the RAAL lazy ribbon tweeter.

You can also contact Ralf Krebs of Cessaro. I understand he now makes his own drivers now but don't know if he will sell parts. He should be tops on your list to speak with.

Best of luck,
Joe

If ultimate frequency range extension is the target, Murata ES103 105 or ESTD01 piezo tweeters come into mind ...

The Bliesma 25mm Diamond or Beryllium tweeters could also be an option (on a waveguide).

Unfortunately due to its ultra small "discharge volume", plasma tweeter produce tremendous amounts of H2 distortion and Intermodulation as well, so you need to cope with that in order get a 100% replacement, sound wise.

I think it depends on your definition of "ultimate." If ultimate means total detail retrieval, lack of fatigue-inducing distortion or frequency response issues, reasonable sensitivity, etc., then that driver will likely work in any system without drawing attention to itself (assuming basic level matching is done properly). As an ideal, it seems like a valid goal.

If your idea of ultimate leans toward euphonic coloration, a sizzly or distorted character that's perceived as detailed, emphasizing one aspect over others (sensitivity at all costs), etc., then that's more likely to only work in certain designs.

Small full-range-ish drivers are a place where some of this is more obvious. Many just don't have much detail retrieval. However they're used or equalized, that character comes through. You can make them better sometimes, but they'll always have that deficiency to a certain extent.

I heard these awhile ago at a show where they did in/out in/out demonstrations and it was a clear advantage in leading edge definition without sounding harsh or iratating overall.

Quite easy to tell the differences and superior with it in the system

Last edited:
Ultimate is in the ear of the beholder. The TAD ET 703 if you can score a pair is great. Large Fostex t500 mk2 or Mk3 is also excellent.
One of the sets of Cogent speakers that were custom built for a customer were supplied with Fostex T-500a MkII tweeters and they sounded great in the system.

But the owner of the system liked to tweak with things so he contacted Hermann at Acapella and was able to buy a pair of his plasma tweeters. One issue was the severe sensitivity mismatch, but a call to Jack Elliano at Electra Print and pair of custom autoformers brought the level of the Acapella tweeters up to a good balance.

As good as the Fostex tweeters are, they sounded like sandpaper compared to the plasma. Seriously, the difference is that extreme

I came vary close to getting a pair of the TAD ET-703 a few years ago, but they got away from me. While I can't confirm from direct listening I'm pretty confident they would be similar to the quality of the Fostex tweeters and similarly no comparison to the plasma.

If I had an spare 12K i'd put the min my system.

Fostex.jpeg
Acapella.jpeg
eso