Adapting polyurethane adhesives for panel speaker applications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I like the idea of polyurethane adhesives (e.g. Gorilla glue) for a number of tasks on panel speakers, but I would like it to be thinner sometimes (for applying) and to foam less or hardly at all.

I have read on another thread that acetone is an effective thinner, perhaps 1:1. Does it affect bond strength or foaming?

How about other relatively benign things: water, alcohol, lighter fluid? I'm not a chemist so if any of these are really stupid ideas then my apologies!

M

I'm a past owner of a few Magnepans but sold them, primarily for the wire delamination problems. I'm also familiar with Gorilla glue, but not for such repairs. Obviously I am assuming you have similar purpose in mind. In the first place, if this is what you have planned, you may want to reconsider. Gorilla glue is NOT flexible and would not be a good match for a flexible panel. There is a reason that Magnepan uses a spray adhesive. I think I used contact cement for spot repairs.

If you are determined to try, I have experimented thinning with xylene. It works. Try on a trial piece first, because these organic solvents dissolve some plastics. Can't comment on bond strength or foaming. You might also read up on GG and see what carriers (thinner) it uses in its stock formula. Water is an activator, and not a solvent for it.

As versatile as Gorilla glue is, depending on the plastic involved, it may not bond well. I ran into this problem with PP cone speakers. They are difficult to adhere without special surface preparations.

Thanks @Soldermizer. In terms of application, I am thinking more of membrane to support and stator to support, neither of which require flexibility.

Regarding PP cones (and their lossy synthetic rubber surrounds and kapton voice coil formers) I remember just what fun and games we used to have at Rogers identifying which adhesives and surface preparation would be required to ensure that the bond lasted in the long term. We ended up with an industrial Loctite formulation but I can't remember the number.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.