two sets of maggies??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
The impedance is 5R and fairly flat, so unless your amplifier cannot drive low impedance
loads well, just one speaker per amplifier channel would be fine. Two speakers per channel
would cause all manner of interference effects among the drivers.

Last edited:
Yes, putting speakers in series increases the impedance seen by the amplifier (impedances add in this configuration). Lower current receivers typically do this with their A/B speaker outputs.

The interference effects can be eliminated if you stack them (as done with Quad ESL 57's), assuming you have the ceiling height of course. If you're doing more casual listening, the result from just running multiple sets next to each other may be acceptable to you though. It's an easier place to start for sure.

Joined 2011
I would be right about the series calculation though?

Sure, although then the impedance is over 10R, so less power from the amplifier is available
to split between the speakers. Multiple speaker systems per channel (even very good speakers)
is normally only done when there is no alternative and the distortion would otherwise be too high
at the desired volume levels.

Last edited:
Thank all,

I am running this with a reasonably high powered AV receiver ( Cambridge audio Azur 751R) It is not specced for 5ohm, but can push out well over 100W at 6ohm. It is a very musical performer.

I am curious whether it will sound any different driving a higher impedance.

I have tried all manner of positioning for these two sets.

As of now , I am actually using them sandwiched together. ( yup - you heard right:) )

I am using the forward facing ( to me ) maggies in their full range mode.

The maggie sandwiched behind ( I do mean literally clamped tight with it ) has the tweeter section disabled, so the only signal passing through both 'socks' is the mid/bass.

I may experiment removing the rear socks entirely.

Seems promising to my ears, and gives the sound much more bass authority.

However, i must say from the outset, i am a great fan of DSP, so I do tweak the sound further to my liking.

Thanks again

pootler

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.