Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Distributed Mode Loudspeaker vs Vibration Panel Technology
Distributed Mode Loudspeaker vs Vibration Panel Technology Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2020, 04:58 PM   #1
graystones11 is offline graystones11
diyAudio Member

Default Distributed Mode Loudspeaker vs Vibration Panel Technology

Default Distributed Mode Loudspeaker vs Vibration Panel Technology. Is there a difference?

I'm doing my best to educate myself on distributed mode loudspeakers, with the goal of building hidden, hifi quality speakers in my house, either in the form of the wall itself, or as artwork panels suspended from the ceiling or mounted on the wall.

I'm new to DIY, so forgive me for my naivitae. I originally came across DML with Tech Ingredients review of DML panel options in this informative Youtube video.

It seems these speaker work best when the panel is suspended in air and not affixed to anything. There are also expensive "invisible speakers" out there sold that are built into the drywall and use the wall as the loudspeaker. These are sometimes called "Vibration Panel Technology," I believe is the same thing, but I am not sure.

What I am unclear about is how these speaker perform well when connected to the entire wall and not suspended?

If you know of projects in which people have built DML or other speakers that either use the wall as the speaker or can be affixed to the wall or suspended like artwork, I would appreciate seeing those projects.
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:22 PM   #2
cubby01 is offline cubby01  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you mean 'vibration speaker technology's, but yes they are referencing the same thing -- a panel of some kind being driven by an attached 'exciter'.
Old 24th January 2020, 12:49 PM   #3
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Monster thread about them: A Study of DML's as a Full Range Speaker

Distributed Mode Loudspeaker vs Vibration Panel TechnologyHide this!Advertise here!