Repair of Hifiman H5-LE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, bought these recently, and found a small (jagged 1/3") tear in the membrane near the outer edge where they are held in place by mechanical clamping.

I can see some choices.

1. Since the rip is quite close to the edge, there is a chance to use a clamping from both sides - of the same/similar material and force as the way the membrane is held in place now

2. This can was made right before the HE-500 model which uses a 1 mil thick mylar and a 1 mil thick layer of aluminum.

Since I haven't lost material from the damage, if I can get a mylar/polyimide/kapton tape piece that's thinner and lighter to make up for the added weight of the adhesive and use the smallest piece I can use and do the job it might not change the audible character of the membrane (too much).

3. I have a pair of Mass Drop 4XX's which appear to have a very similar etching, I could try to move them over. Getting the solder temp correct so as not to burn the mylar would be an issue.

4. strip the etching off the existing (what solvent to use?) mylar. Obtain the right glue and membrane also.

1 & 2 seem somewhat simple. 3 could quick result in two screwed up headphones. I guess #4 is good if I want to start a side business once I get good at it.

Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.