Planar vs. cone dipole LF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a pair of Magnepans and also several experimental dipole speakers (Orion type and various fullrangers) and was wondering how it is that the cone dipoles need so much eq manipulation while the Maggies produce pretty flatly down to 40hz with no eq. Is it just a matter of the panel having a huge Sd compared to 2 - 4 12'' drivers, or are there more complex physics issues involved?

amt

amt said:
No eq? Are those the Pyle drivers used by chops? Im using Pioneers and older CV drivers and both need at least +6 boost. How efficient do you guess they are?

amt

Yeah, same drivers. I'd guess about 92dB/W/m, but I'm running a 250W plate amp for them, so I'm not about to run out of power before I run out of Xmax... I plan to add some boost at about 25-28Hz so I can get another half an octave, I just havn't gotten around to it yet ;)

Peace

the simple answer is bass planar drivers are arranged to have a Q
of between 2 and 3 and tuned to an Fs related to the effective
baffle width such that with voltage drive response is flat or to
target (fairly near flat) down to Fs.

Consequently the panel Fs is always near to the low frequency limit.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.