Voltmeter to monitor an Electrostatic speaker 10000 Volt power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

Please can you help me find or specify a voltmeter suitable for monitoring a 10000V power supply for an Electrostatic speaker?

The voltmeter must have an extremely high resistance probably much greater than 10,000,000,000 ohms to avoid over loading the power supply. The power supply has very HIGH internal resiatance.

Electrostatic voltmeters I have seen are either low accuracy (field meters?) or expensive that is greater £1500?

Yours sincerely

George Kermeen
Electronic Engineer
Dudley Designs and Technical Services Ltd
email dudleydesigns@aol.com

does it need to be fast? else, why not a voltage divider 10000:1 with desired resistance, and a ADC over the resitor with about 1V across it? As the ADCs input would be a capacitor that is charged, the slower the ADC is, the larger the resistors could be.

What you want to do is build a high voltage probe. That's most easily done by stringing a bunch of high value resistors in series, and setting up the voltage divider that till suggested. Using a bunch of resistors in series helps get past max voltage ratings. Make sure your substrate has VERY good insulation properties- plain epoxy may not do.

safety first:

i don't think that a HV probe is something that easily built from scratch -- firstly with common plastics the conductivity can be much higher than those seen published due to the fillers etc. used to enhance strength. you want a plastic which is not hydrophilic in any case, you want to make sure that the there is no way your hand or fingers can slip and come into close proximity to the HV circuit.

secondly, common resistors are non-linear above a few hundred volts -- there are special high voltage resistors for this purpose

my 2 cents -- you can buy a good B&K, Heath, Fluke or Eico HV probe on the bay -- anywhere from $20 to $60. it doesn't take more than a few hundred uA to stop your heart.

Shocking the heart

doesn't take more than a few hundred uA to stop your heart

Yeah, and it gives you about 3 more minutes ( depending on temp ) till your brain shuts down and it gives you time to scream (silently) and curse yourself for not having been more careful. It must be awful -- shutting down almost consciously --.......... it happened to someone I knew very well ! Awful for everyone else too.
So BE CAREFUL ! People care more about you than you imagine !

Be safe and have fun.
Cheers.

You can easily find high-voltage probes that can measure up to 40 kV, so that is not a problem.
But finding something with an input impedance of more than 10 GOhm will be a problem, to be honest I am not even sure such a thing exist. You also need a decent multimeter (with an input impedance >10 MOhm) in order to use such a probe.

Are you sure 1 GOhm would not be enough? Then for example a Fluke 80k-15 would probably work.

I should also point out that I think it would be VERY difficult to make a DIY probe with a imput impedance anywhere near what you can find in commercial probes.

Tobbe_L said:
You can easily find high-voltage probes that can measure up to 40 kV, so that is not a problem.
But finding something with an input impedance of more than 10 GOhm will be a problem, to be honest I am not even sure such a thing exist. You also need a decent multimeter (with an input impedance >10 MOhm) in order to use such a probe.

Are you sure 1 GOhm would not be enough? Then for example a Fluke 80k-15 would probably work.

I should also point out that I think it would be VERY difficult to make a DIY probe with a imput impedance anywhere near what you can find in commercial probes.
maybe with the TEK R7704 I am desparately trying to give away I should include a HV probe. :)

Re: Re: Voltmeter to monitor an Electrostatic speaker 10000 Volt power supply

awboy said:
A supply with its output voltage dropping by loading it with 10 Gohm is not a power supply.

Well not quite - the high voltage power supply of an electrostatic speaker is typically set up with high impedance on purpose for a number of reasons. The most important (functional) is to keep current from flowing as the diaphragm moves (i.e keeping the charge constant much like a restrictor). (Also note that high voltage electronics does not work quite like we are used to)

Now, I recommend that you use an electrostatic voltmeter for such duty as you will most likely draw down the voltage significantly just by loading it.

Petter

Conclusion VL can be measured with 100,000,000,000 ohm meter with less than 1% error

Thank you all for the help.

In response to Petter's recommendation.

Has anybody got approximate impedance figures RS for high voltage power supplies?

From the assumption that the probe has 1,000,000,000 ohm input resistance RP say (RS catalogue Stock No 360-0300)

and dhaen's internet reference as follows

Why don't I get 6kV when I measure the EHT's Bass Panel pin?Are you using an electrostatic voltmeter? (Probably not) If you are using a probe attached to an ordinary DVM then expect to read somewhere around 3.9 to 4.2 kV with no bass panels connected and a perfectly good EHT supply.

I estimate an electrostatic HV power supply resistance RS

can be calculated from the power supply open circuit voltage VP = 6KV

The estimated probe resistance RL = 1,000,000,000 ohms

and the loaded power supply voltage VL = 3.9KV

from

VL = VP * RL/(RS+RL)

VL*RS + VL*RL = VP*RL

RS =RL * (VP-VL)/ VL = 1 * (6-3.9)/3.9 = 0.538 G Ohms

It is a capacitor as is pretty much every thing else :)

The way it works is that two very thin sheets of metal separate as the voltage gets too high. In effect, what happens is that electrostatic forces force these apart. The good news is that it is infinite resistance. The bad news is that it is not particularly accurate ...

so I did a search on Google and one of the links that came up was http://www.electrotechsystems.com/ProductInfo.asp?ProdID=67 which seems to be a similar sort of thing except that technology has advanced since I went to college :)

Petter

an extra warning,

I thought I'd hop in here too.

Anything more than 50 volts is capable of killing a person. Much lower voltages may kill if current is high.

We read of ideas to try to be safe handling higher voltages in this thread.
Here's my advice. A heavy set of rubber gloves over a set of light weight leather gloves, but only used if power is turned off and leads checked for potential power. Then and only then hook up your test probe and back away to power up. At no time ever, get within touching range while the power is on!
Each time you shut down, check for potential energy on each lead before handline( with gloved hands ).
Using "some sort of plastic" sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Sorry, but true. My advice is find something electrically suitable or forget this step.

:smash:
Guys remember this, learning the meaning of safety late, cannot bring back the past once you get hurt or worse. Work safe with safe tools. Think about your tools being safe for each project.

Here's for continuing this thread. I hope there's some rewarding reading following!!! :rolleyes:

GH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.