Magnepan repair info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read many of the posts concerning Magnepan speaker repairs. I inherited a pair of SMGa's probably 30 years old. They sounded great but would buzz with certain music. So off came the "socks" and I found the usual. Virtually every end loop on one speaker was free from the mylar and "curled" up. The thinner wires were no longer in parallel but no crossing of conductors. With parallel conductors and current flowing they are going to repel or attract and the adhesive is the only thing preventing them from sliding across the membrane. And the 3M adhesive is inconsistent at best based on the information in this forum. The mylar was intact with no tears. I used the DAP Weldwood contact cement as recommended to glue the conductors back in place. The thin wires were easily moved back to parallel and used DAP to reinforce the grip. I used no Acetone. I just used the brush that came with the DAP and tried to keep a thin layer where applied. Result - speaker sounds great with no buzzing.

The second speaker had the same problems but the mylar was ripped in several places under the tweeter wire. Some of the wires had crossed and I don't know how this speaker sounded as good as it did. Any, I cut the mylar from top to bottom next to the last heavier wire loop. I used the DAP to glue the edge of the mylar to the magnet the was at the "edge" of the thicker wire section. Then I made a separate membrane for the tweeter wires with Scotch packaging tape. I secured it at each end with a sections of popsickle sticks. Two stacked at the bottom, then the tape, then one more at the top. Used super glue and thumb tacks. Then routed the tweeter wire back in place and secured with the DAP. It looked terrible. But it sounds great. Both speakers have better focus and no buzzing. So before you spend a lot of money, do a little experimenting.

The new tweeter membrane is secured at top and bottom but not the sides. Applying the Dap made it bow up in the middle vertically from top to bottom. This created a greater gap between magnets and conductors. Also, a buzz did surface with a particular song. I was able to locate the position (on the original mylar) and taped a popsickle stick across it. This also helped to flatten the bowing of the other membrane. I put two more popsickle sticks to flatten the membrane so that it improved the gap from top to bottom. After several hours of listening I can't believe the sound. I will post some pics later just for the humor.

Last edited:
I'm a Magnepan 1.6QR owner (and repairer) since 2005... I too get good (audio) results with the DAP Weldwood (but I clean with acetone/nail polish remover first.) I am not an everyday user of them, but their weakness seems to be to develop a "buzz", you hunt it down, clean and glue, and listen until .. repeat as needed. The "socks" I tore off my Maggies long ago. Also, I am lazy: I just do a spot repair, certainly not a complete clean and reglue of a panel.

Here is a link from our sister (inmate?) webzine AA:
Planar Speaker Asylum: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga by Peter Gunn

Note that this author is ******** on the recommended kits, materials suggested by Magnepan. Perhaps this has changed since 2005?

Currently listening to lower maintenance Bose 901 II :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.