In need really thin aluminium magnet wire!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there, i bought 2 sets of maggies that are worn out, really ****
so i had finally the oppertunity to take a look at the magnets, and well what a suprise. no massive amount of money spend there!!!!!.

the magnets are rubber ones, you can buy them on rolls of 8 meter one with a sticky side with the north pole on top and the other 8 meters with sticky side and southpole on top.

i bought these rubber kind of magnets , realy weak and really small size few weeks back an tried to make a little pannel myself and jesus they sound pretty loud. used 48 small magnets and orderd 1500 for like 2 euro! so people no need for al the fancy neo's magnepan dont use them as well!

but now comes my problem, first i thought it would be the magnets but now thats out of the way, it now the voice coil, i tried it with aluminum foil but its terrible to cut out a whole coil without destroing it and also to place them in the right possition on the magnets. so i tried alu tape with sticky side in verry thin slice, but problem here is my tape is not long enought to make a bigger one. so my final last resort is magnet wire like the one they used in magnepan. i will only use the panels to play from 300 or 400 hertz and u so the wire has to be as thin as possible!!.

But in the whole netherlands they never heard of aluminum magnet wire only copper that weighs like 3 times as much so it wont work! can anybody help me with this wire? or does anybody has another solution ?

Hi
If you phone Magnepan and ask for the parts department they will be happy to sell you a couple of rolls of the aluminum wire you need. I just bought some recently for my MGIIIA ,2 rolls were about $35.00.You can also get new grill cloth for a reasonable price
Andrew

Magnepan also sells repair kits for the MMG . . . as in the quasi-ribbon
tweeter , You might ask " Karen " in customer service about the kit.

The kit comes with the aluminum foil and the glue used to adhere it to the mylar , and some solder ( I could be wrong about the solder )

thx for your reply , problem one is i live in the netherlands, but the biggest problem is i need a lot, because i have sooo many magnets left i have to do something with them, dont know if they send so much, only way to contact them is phone :(

how many is 2 rolls ? in meters

If you're creative, You might be able to use uninsulated (no enamel) Aluminium wire if you can find that. Perhaps one of the scientific material suppliers might carry it but they won't be cheap...

I'd still try and talk to Magnepan, from personal experience they are extremely helpful and are able to provide all that is needed for repairs.

Cheers, & good luck,

Ed.

If you really have to use copper, bear in mind that, the density of copper is 3.3 times that of aluminium, but the conductivity is only 1.5 times as much. So for a given (DC) resistance, a copper wired panel would have about double the mass of an aluminium one.

I have a large roll of aluminum magnet wire. Been so long since I looked at it I forget the gauge but it may be #26. I could spare some. It looks almost like real magnet wire but making connections to it are a challenge after you strip the enamel off the ends.

If I get a chance today i'll check the gauge and report back.

Any idea how many feet (of the wire) you would need?

woow, verry nice site they got like every wire that i could think of,

the coloured wires are insulated as well i think, at least protected agains corousion, only pay like 8 euro to ship to netherlands.

smallest wire is 0.2 mm i think thats the same size as the maggies wire. will get me some 0.2 mm and 0.5 you never know.

now i hope i can transfer the money or maybe use paypal :) dont have credit card.

nice site !! Thx allot

yes they do, they are not strong at all, i had feriet magnets an thougt they where to weak to do anything with , but these rubber things out of the maggies are like 3 times as weak,

but there's allot ! like 30 meter of the stuff in an MMG 1 Improved

you can buy this stuf in a normal hardware store , magnet stuff to put on plexiglass windows on each other. 8 meter is like 20 euro but i comes in 2 rolls one with the northpole on top other with south, in magnepan they use them one stroke the one with nort other with south, just like it should but that means you got like 16 meters of usefull magnet for a diy project for only 25euro. i can imagine it can be much cheaper if ordered online somewhere.
also this magnet stuff is wider than the ones magnepans uses so i could been sliced in two to get 32 meters, depends on how much force you need and the gaug wire used as voicecoil.

verry easy, dont have camera at hand, but its like this

the strips of north and south lay next to eachother with smal gap between them so one strip has his southpole next to the strip beside it with the northpole, the membrane that is stretched over the magnets with 1 or 2 mm space between the magnet and mylar, has ordenary aluminum wire insulated and runs up and donwn the gaps. one gap up next gap down etc

Which maggies are these? I rewired a set of maggies with copper wire for the tweeter section with great results as only one was bad I did it and compared it to the other speaker with the original alu wire and could not find a difference .
john65b on this board Has done this as well . Somewhere around this mess of a shop is a 3 pound spool if I can find it I could send you enough to do yours if you like. Check over on the magnepan users group (MUG) site there is lots of great info there.

I wanted to reply yesterday, but couldn't find my old thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127336&highlight=

I documented repair of my SMGa panels - the wire was stripped off the diaphragms and replaced, as the original adhesives were failing. There are some pictures, which give a good idea of Magnepan's construction techniques for the tweeter & mid/bass panel sections of this model.

Unfortunately (but lucky for my bank balance..) the magnets are not accessible without disturbing the diaphragm, otherwise I might have been tempted to invest in a big pile of NdFeB replacements!

Ed

WrineX said:
ths for the offer.
but really it does matter, for impedance copper has lower resistance, and also alu is 1/3 of de copper version in weight

You are correct, however I used smaller gauge copper and ended up within .1 ohms of what the original was. the difference in mass may surprise you it is very small, the diaghram mass and how much miloxane you use dominates anyway. The plus side is that copper solders and is readily available. I have run them at ear splitting levels and never had a burnout.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.