ribbon mid range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up old infinity speakers with the emit tweeter and I was shocked at how it sounded. everything I have ever heard before has either been a dome or paper cone tweeter and then hearing this tweeter was quite the change. I enjoyed the clarity these things provide and figured it might be of some use in a center speaker.
what I'm thinking of doing now is building a center speaker with a mid range driver based off one of these. Right now my problems though is I haven't done much for speaker building and even less with building a driver. I don't have a lot of money to fork over a good bit for making this.

I've read one of the links here and it has helped a little bit but I do have some other questions. what is the difference between the folded aluminum drivers vs the flat drivers that have a voice coil placed upon them in terms of build difficulty, price and sound quality. I am aware that emit and emim speakers use the later option. with the folded pieces how do you connect the leads to the aluminum foil. How does shape effect the sound? I have seen them both in straight rectangle pieces and round shapes.

I might have more but this will do for the moment.
thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.