fir filtering "server" based on mini pc.

Hello. I want to build a piece of hardware capable of implementing fir filters by itself for a stereo equipment.

I want, while maintaining audio quality, to be as cheap as possible.

My question is, how much processor capacity and ram memory does a mini pc need to work with fir filters?

1.44 GHz and 2g of ram is enough?

I know about raspberry but I want this thread to focus on WINDOS based gadgets, thanks.

Is there any reason to wish for specifically Windows based?

The RasPi based FreeDSP and other RasPi DSP's are a great option with their outboard hardware. They run Raspbian or another ARM oriented gnu-linux.

Why Windows? Are you asking for that because you'd like to be able to use it for HTPC usage on the side too? If so, please do not. You'd preferrably have that PC/board/computer do nothing but DSP work.

You can definitely run a DSP on the specs you listed, but it would depend more on the other hardware. You need outboard DAC's; and ADC's if you want analog input.

If you insist on Windows:
Take a simple walk through the rest of this sub-forum. This is a topic posted in the same sub; actually right under your topic. :)
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.

I do not know anything about linux and I find it complicated.

I am looking for a "plug and play" solution.

I'm looking for the cheapest and I think mini-pc is cheaper than raspberry.

for audio input and output I plan to use these 2 devices:

*Analog to digital converter ADC (rca to usb):

Analog input: lotus seat L/R
Input level: Max. 2Vram (2V effective value) = 2.8Vpk (peak value) That is, the standard analog output of CD will not be distorted to the output of this board
Output: fiber coaxial PCM 0dBu
48K/96K/192K free conversion with high sampling rate
Signal to noise ratio -100dB
Low distortion <0.005% (20-20K)

*Digital to analog converter DAC (usb to rca):

Output: 3.5mm headphone jack, RCA
Bit depth: 16bit /24bit
PCM USB Input decoding rate :32bit/384kHz
Sampling Rate Support:
PCM: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz
DSD: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (2.822, 3.072, 5.644, 6.144, 11.2896 and 12.288MHz)
RCA Output level: 2.5 Vrms @ 0dBFS
Frequency Response: 20-20K Hz +/- 0.15dB

Attachments

• Hf7155fb0aa3c4807b97358890522f32b2.jpg
    Hf7155fb0aa3c4807b97358890522f32b2.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 253
  • HTB1VhAMekWE3KVjSZSyq6xocXXaE.jpg
    HTB1VhAMekWE3KVjSZSyq6xocXXaE.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 227
I recommend you really do some more research than just throwing stuff at your problem.

There are dedicated solutions using a RasPi that are by far cheaper than a MiniPC with similar outboard gear (your interfaces). There's also dedicated products for DSP purposes, like the AnalogDevices ones; they start with ADAU. You can also use a piece of hardware you already have, if you happen to have a mini pc/nuc or alike; much of the software libraries used by PiDSP and the likes will run just fine on x86 Unix/gnu-linux distro's as well. You don't need Raspbian specifically.

You do not necessarily need any knowledge of how Unix/gnu-linux works to use a product based on it. But "Plug and play" is not something DIY generally entails, and is more something for a commercial product like MiniDSP.

Buy an old PC/laptop...and play with it, you can use all sorts of programs to do what you need in software.
$100 is enough, later add new HDD.

old pc is big and noisy. mini fanless pc has less power consumption

If it's supposed to be a "server" (i.e. a standalone DSP device, IIUC), what input channels do you plan on using?

ADC (analog to digital converter) works as imput. left and right rca to usb....

attachment.php

spurce from vinyl..

Attachments

• H4ceff70fc3ce419d8d982fc5545d8a3d6.jpg
    H4ceff70fc3ce419d8d982fc5545d8a3d6.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
So standard issue - you will need asynchronous resampling between the capture and playback soundcards, unless only one duplex device will be used.

You can run FIR filters in camilladsp which is very CPU efficient (even on windows) and supports IMO all features you need (incl. features you likely do not know you will actually need).

I understand your interest in miniPCs cheaper than RPi including nice metal sturdy case, good-brand reliable PSU, etc. But those older machines are not suitable for running windows today, especially if you need a glitchfree operation, i.e. good performance margin. Unlike running headless linux, where almost all CPU resources can be dedicated to the DSP task.

You can change to Linux or dual boot...
And old PC today means i3, 4 GB RAM and so on, more than enough.
Fan less PC, embedded PC, Pi, laptop are all options.
So is a PC in the attic or in a place where noise is not an issue.

Here the courts run Linux boxes, which are terminals (made by HP), connected to a server in the data room.

You could wireless stream the music.
Or use a big memory stick on a DAC to play the music.

Last edited:
So standard issue - you will need asynchronous resampling between the capture and playback soundcards, unless only one duplex device will be used.

You can run FIR filters in camilladsp which is very CPU efficient (even on windows) and supports IMO all features you need (incl. features you likely do not know you will actually need).

I understand your interest in miniPCs cheaper than RPi including nice metal sturdy case, good-brand reliable PSU, etc. But those older machines are not suitable for running windows today, especially if you need a glitchfree operation, i.e. good performance margin. Unlike running headless linux, where almost all CPU resources can be dedicated to the DSP task.
the DAC i want to use support asynchronus...
Jitter can be as low as 4.6ps. Support 32B 384khz asynchronous transmission

i try to install camila dsp on windos and i don't know how to do it.

i want to use Hi-Fi Cable & ASIO4ALL + VSTHost & ConvolverVST

orther alternative is Equalizer APO...

You can change to Linux or dual boot...
And old PC today means i3, 4 GB RAM and so on, more than enough.
Fan less PC, embedded PC, Pi, laptop are all options.
So is a PC in the attic or in a place where noise is not an issue.

Here the courts run Linux boxes, which are terminals (made by HP), connected to a server in the data room.

You could wireless stream the music.
Or use a big memory stick on a DAC to play the music.

the music will come from turntable..

IIUC you mentioned a miniPC cheaper than RPi4. I know only about refurbished HP/Dell/FS thin clients running older embedded AMD (G44/54) or Intel (Atom) CPUs. Newer thin clients with newer CPUs are way more expensive than RPi.

These CPUs are ideal for headless linux DSP, IME these CPUs are way underpowered for full-blown desktop windows.