Raspberry Pi4B - streaming music from my network PC ?

I am new to Raspberry Pi.
I'm playing with the Pi4B with no HAT just yet, [thinking of buying Pi2AES but it's out of stock]
I'm using Picoreplayer with USB out to my dac, sound pretty good I must said.
Anyone knows if Picoreplayer [or Volumio & Moode] could streaming music from my network PC?? that's where all my music are.
Thanks for any input.

Anyone knows if Picoreplayer [ could streaming music from my network PC?? that's where all my music are.
Thanks for any input.

You don't say which OS is running on your PC ?
The size of your music library might also help.

It is possible to run LMS on the raspberrypi and connect to a music folder on a computer (I have done this using an iMac as the music store).

The Mac (obviously ) had to be powered on to playback the music.

This is really a bit silly, so why not consider installing LMS on the computer and using the rpi as a player, then research your options to take the library off the computer.

I hope this is helpful :)

ronnie

I am new to Raspberry Pi.
I'm playing with the Pi4B with no HAT just yet, [thinking of buying Pi2AES but it's out of stock]
I'm using Picoreplayer with USB out to my dac, sound pretty good I must said.
Anyone knows if Picoreplayer [or Volumio & Moode] could streaming music from my network PC?? that's where all my music are.
Thanks for any input.

You can run LMS and squeezelite on a single RPI. You'd end up with the same standalone setup
you'd have with Volumio or Moode.

pCP lets you access (mount) network data storages via the known file sharing services Samba/Cifs or NFS.

Further, LMS allows to stream from Qobuz, Spotify and Tidal.

With pCP you'll have pretty much all networking/streaming options at hand.

That's what you're looking for, aren't you !?!?

I'd start with a single (combined client/server squeezelite/LMS ) RPI installation.
If you like you can seperate them later on, on different RPIs.

Good luck.

Thanks all !
I did some research and it seems I need to set up Samba within my Volumio setting.
I managed to use the //192.168.1/Mymusic to access my PC music folder,
however, it was try to "import?" my 500G music folder for hours after hours !! I gave up. Why was that ???
All I need is acces to my PC music folder like my smart LG tv could do in 2 minutes, not loading all files. Anybody has experience on this?

My RPI4 Picoreplayer setup takes a whole night for scanning the library from a QNAP NAS. The PI is WIFI connected, but wired it also takes hours.
Never understood why that library rebuilding with all distros...OK I can then browse afterwards by any criteria.
There is however an option in Jivelite for accessing the music folder directly, like a standard network share.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just for a comparison, my RPi4B with piCorePlayer/LMS has a 1TB USB drive attached and that takes about 10mins to rescan about 1200 CDs.

In LMS I find using the folders directly is slower than via the database options. I only use the folders directly (in the old RPi1B days) when the scan had not completed and I wanted to listen to a newly ripped CD.

NAS access usually uses SMB/CIFS protocols. These can be encrypted which takes a good share of CPU. Some NASes allow disabling the encryption, resulting in much faster transfer rate. Of course it assumes a gigabit ethernet connection, not just 100Mbps. Also using SSD instead of HDD would help.

1TB USB drive will most likely be USB3, maybe it's already SSD. That is much faster than network access to the NAS. Scanning the library takes a lot of seeks where local access (even through USB) benefits most.

After trying Volumio for 2 days, it was easier to use than Picoreplayer, able to access my PC. But the Andriod app is terrible! it's very irresponsive, glitch, and close by itself if unattended for more than 2 minutes!
IS there a way for Picoreplayer to access by my network PC like Volumio?? I've try everything! none worked.
Thanks again.

After trying Volumio for 2 days, it was easier to use than Picoreplayer, able to access my PC. But the Andriod app is terrible! it's very irresponsive, glitch, and close by itself if unattended for more than 2 minutes!
IS there a way for Picoreplayer to access by my network PC like Volumio?? I've try everything! none worked.
Thanks again.

There is indeed a way to do this, and once set up with 'Material', you won't look back.

Picoreplayer runs on a Pi, and will see/play audio files managed and made available by/through LMS. LMS can run on your RPi, or on your network PC.

Is your 'network' PC a server, on all the time, or is it just a laptop/desktop where your music files reside? Either way, like with Volumio, your network PC will need to be on whilst you play music.

If you're not comfortable with setting up either Samba or NFS shares, then running LMS on your network PC may be the simplest route forward, as picoreplayer will see LMS across the network. LMS can be installed on most OS's; windows, linux etc.

If you are comfortable with setting up a Samba/NFS share then installing both picoreplayer and LMS on your RPi may be the way forward.

To control Squeezelite from your phone, search for "Squeezer" in the Play store. The app is not free but I think it's pretty good.

Squeezer control app is free.
Squeeze player app is paid, but You can also find the free apk, and it just have to be running in the background if You want to play on the phone.
Then You only need to use Squeezer to browse and play music.

Just coming back with my streamer system, and I am gonna take a ride on this thread, if you let me.

I did assemble an RPi based system a few years ago, using a Pi3B, with Picoreplayer. LMS and Squeelite, outputting through USB to my external Topping D50. The audio was the best I had ever heard.

But there were some glitches with the LMS system and I got distracted with something else and abandoned the thing.

Now I want to get back, because the Kodi system I use both for video and audio does not provide such high quality audio as I had got. I wonder if someone could explain me why.

Do I need to upgrade the Raspberry to Pi4B or even wait for the Pi5?

An LMS running on a Pi3B should be glitch free, so perhaps it is worth revisiting with a fresh SD card and installation. LMS does not require you to upgrade to an RPi4 or 5, and you will arguably not see any audible difference (unless running a USB DAC), but other than cost (and a bit of extra heat and power) there is no reason not to...