X6000 Out of stock everywhere?

IIUC the 4 x 2ch should generate 4 stereo alsa devices which can be merged to a single 8ch device by the route plugin. Timing should be synchronous, it's one serial data channel. But there can be a slight delay between each pair, maybe.

From what I understand, whatever is interfacing with HDMI on the HAT exposes only 2 channels of audio. These are then "copied" to the four onboard DACs. Sorry that this is a very naive understanding of the hardware, but this is why, as I understand it, you can only access two channels with this version of the board. I was never clear why the designer made it that way and what the intended use was supposed to be.

That would be a very stupid design, why wasting the extra 3 stereo dacs?

I know next to nothing about HDMI, but the EP91A6SX HDMI repeater supports HDMI 2.0 which in turn supports up to 4 audio streams. Perhaps the chip in the 4x2 version is configured to announce to support 4 stereo streams instead of one 8ch stream. RPi4 has HDMI2.0 outputs, maybe its VC4 firmware can support the 4x2 configuration via 4 alsa devices. Perhaps RPi developers at Raspberry Pi Forums - Index page would know more, HDMI is a proprietary technology with no official documentation online. Also the seller should know more (theoretically :) ).

Hi, i had a "8channel 4x2" hat and i send it to suptronics to reprogramm it into the real multichannel Version 7.1 and i got this version back. But this Hat is discontinued. Suptronics told me there will be a new board for the rpi4, but nothing happend :-(