Win XP system, Foobar2000 and Boom problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my Win XP system Foobar2000 and Boom do not work while all other similar applications do. Getting the error message for MP3: "Decoding failure at 0:00.000 (Unsupported format or corrupted file) Unrecoverable playback error: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"
Wrong codec?

I wrote some DJ music player software for my PC.
Worked well for many years.
Then one day it started to fail.
Spent hours debugging software and couldnt find the problem.
I then noticed PC started going wrong with other programs.
I reinstalled Windows and it was no better.
I did hard drive and DRAM checks using debug software.
They said they were fine.

In desperation I removed one of my DRAM modules but still no better.
I replaced it and removed the other and suddenly everything was good again.

I wasn't convinced there was anything wrong with the DRAM module as I hadn't had it long.

So got the motherboard manual out.
Apparently if you fit two DRAM modules they must be in same colour slots.
So I put the "faulty" DRAM module back in to the right coloured slot and its been fine since.

Not saying that's your problem but problems can in one of many sources.

@N101N

to quote Byron...

"Mediocrity is achievable... this may explain its popularity"

There, may be my last answer too...:p
shields up, takes cover... slopes off to a Linux box... lol folks... don't take life too seriously..

Last edited:
You can of course continue using xp for as long as you want as long as you don't rely on it for anything really important. Playing music on a system not directly connected to the internet is acceptable. But I hope that you use something actively supported for stuff like accessing your internet bank.

Thank you everybody.
This version of Win XP is fast and safe without any antivirus and firewall, heavily downgraded and personalized for my needs, Bill Gates would hardly recognize it. Everything is working except Skype that has been ruined by Microsoft anyway and now the unimportant Foobar.exe.

Another academic question while we are at it: why is American programming so insanely bloated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.