Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Software to record 5.1 SACD
Software to record 5.1 SACD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2020, 11:40 PM   #21
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

Here You can find several multi-channel high resolution tracks.
One of them is a 6 min 1Gb file.
They play fine on VLC or Foobar2000 with the needed plugins.

I would rip them first with a ripping software if the discs are recognized on a computer like DVD audio is. Then I would convert it to multichannel lossless flac.
AC3 or DTS are lossy formats.
Old 25th November 2020, 01:13 AM   #22
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
I would rip them first with a ripping software if the discs are recognized on a computer like DVD audio is.
Yes, ripping is a good idea, but no, it's impossible to rip (or even play) SACD's using a computer optical drive. You can only rip SACD's with a hacked Playstation3 or hacked Blu-ray player.
Old 25th November 2020, 12:35 PM   #23
mpa is offline mpa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

yes, unfortunately ripping is not an option and even if I did it with a hacked PS3 I'm guessing I would still end up with DSD?
This method will hopefully work now that I know what order to put the tracks in but I'll just end up with one long track for the whole album!
Old 25th November 2020, 12:52 PM   #24
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

You can easily cut the long recorded track into separate files, typically directly in the recording sw.
Old 25th November 2020, 02:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa View Post
ripping is not an option and even if I did it with a hacked PS3 I'm guessing I would still end up with DSD?
Yes. The first stage of the rip yields an ISO file which is a bit-for-bit copy of all data on the SACD. The second stage is to extract the individual DSD tracks from the ISO, encapsulated either as .dff files or .dsf files (I recommend .dsf, because tagging is better supported). And at this point you can choose to extract either the stereo tracks, or the multi-channel tracks, or both.
If you have suitable hardware to play .dsf files, there's no need to go any further, but in your case you want PCM files, so what's needed is software to convert the .dsf's to PCM - the options are Weiss Saracon DSD (very expensive) or Korg AudioGate, which is free, but apparently you need a Twitter account to enable its export/convert function.

Last edited by linuxfan; 25th November 2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 25th November 2020, 02:06 PM   #26
bajjisw is offline bajjisw  United States
diyAudio Member

Audacity worked for me with 6 generated sine waves as 5.1 wav . It played back on a pioneer receiver.

I followed Exporting Multitrack Surround Files in Audacity – Terence Eden’s Blog

There is a basic GUI that asks you for the order of tracks before final save.
Old 27th November 2020, 12:00 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Regarding DSD-to-PCM conversion, I now recall that foobar2000 is also an option, once the foo_input_sacd component is installed.
I just tested it now - I extracted a multi-channel .dsf file from one of my SACD ISO's, then opened this file in foobar2000, then exported it as a 24bit 88.2khz 6-channel FLAC file.
  Reply to this post

Software to record 5.1 SACDHide this!Advertise here!