Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

24 bit 96 k FLAC, what am I doing wrong?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2020, 03:33 AM   #1
hifijim is offline hifijim  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 24 bit 96 k FLAC, what am I doing wrong?

When I play 24 bit 96 kHz FLAC files from my laptop, using Foobar2000, via USB, to my DAC (Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital), the display on the DAC says 48 kHz. The Foobar application screen says 96 kHz. I suspect that somewhere along the line the 96 kHz is being down sampled to 48 k.

Do I need a special driver to support USB bit rates at 96k? Do I need ASIO drivers ?
Old 23rd June 2020, 04:07 AM   #2
jiiteepee is offline jiiteepee  Finland
diyAudio Member

Re-sampler plugin active in Foobar2k ...
Actually, not all devices have automatic sample rate switching (or not all driver modes supports it) so, you might need to set the device sample rate manually (or try other drivers as like ASIO ) then (where from you set it depends on your OS).
Old 23rd June 2020, 04:10 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Could well be Windoze resampling it. If you can try some other programs like Audacity, Goldwave, JRiver, ARTA, REW, etc with 96K files or tones that might tell you if it's Foobar or something downstream.
Old 27th June 2020, 04:53 PM   #4
HDH is offline HDH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Check what options are listed in the device options (sound settings --> device properties --> additional device properties for Windows 10). Under advanced, you can select a default format and press a test button to see if sound pops out at the other end.
Old 28th June 2020, 08:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Problem solved... I was (stupidly) trying to troubleshoot the device settings with the device (DAC) not connected to the USB port. When the DAC is connected to the laptop, many more options are available. I noticed that the output was fixed at 32 bit 48 kHz. Ah ha! The source of the problem. I was able to set it to 32 bit 96 kHz.

In the process of troubleshooting this, I tried loading Audirvana and using it instead of Foobar2000. Audirvana got the sample rate correct right out of the box. Both applications work well now, but I think I like Audirvana better. I have 30 days of free trial usage before I have to decide, but for $USD 75, I think Audirvana is something I will purchase.

Jim
Old 28th June 2020, 09:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I suppose it depends how you organise your music (I prefer folders) but I find creaky old Winamp gets the job done just fine and will happily spit out high sample rate/bit depth music.
Old 28th June 2020, 10:47 PM   #7
mcandmar is offline mcandmar
diyAudio Member

Windows does all kinds of upsampling and downsampling of Audio before handing off to the DAC in whatever bit rate you specify in audio device settings. Not to mention the "enhancements" it applies of Loudness Equalisation, Bass Boost etc.

To get an unmolested audio playback install the WASAPI Output Plugin for Foobar, then the DAC will play in whatever sample rate and bit depth the source material is recorded in.

foobar2000: Components Repository - WASAPI output support
Old 29th June 2020, 05:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

mcandmar, annoyingly, I just lent out my good PCM recorder but, because I wanted to check my audio path, I recently spat out some ultrasonics through Winamp via a 192 and 96/24 FLAC as well as using a few tracks with those present and it certainly made it through on the frequency front. I mention lending it because I could check the bit depth by adding a frequency that's 1/217 of peak, meaning it would be gobbled up by compression to 16 bit or below at some stage but I won't be getting it back until Christmas. All my 'enhancements' are disabled.

Has anyone done any measurements of WASAPI vs others? I couldn't find anything concrete.

edit: full disclosure: I'm just using budget headphones (BD DT990 Pro, Fostex T50RP, Grado SR125e).

Last edited by HDH; 29th June 2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 29th June 2020, 09:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

In a previous life, I spent 25 years on a team of engineers whose main product was a sophisticated engineering software application which simulated aircraft structural loading and metal fatigue. For the last 10 years, I was the leader of this team. The software was both a unix and windows application, with ~ 100,000 lines of code.

Even with all of that, I am still not confident I understand how audio drivers work in windows... I don't understand the differences between ASIO and WASAPI, and I am not confident I would be able to get "bit perfect" PCM data from my hard drive to my DAC... There is nothing quite like Windows to make a person feel stupid.

That is why Audirvana appeals to me. I am stupid, and I admit it...
Old 29th June 2020, 10:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In the grand scheme of all things audio, it's not a great deal of money. I'm far from qualified to accurately measure every variable (though I will try out the bit depth test when I get my PCM recorder back).

24 bit 96 k FLAC, what am I doing wrong?Hide this!Advertise here!