Equalizer settings for Sennheiser hd599 headphones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently used equalizer apo to flatten the response of some sennheiser hd 599 headphones for a friend. The results were excellent.

I did two versions of equalization. One were I tried to fix the dips. The other were I tried to fix the peaks. Fixing the peaks sounded better. I am not sure why but generally its better to flatten peaks than raise dips. I have also used this on full range drivers and found it to be excellent.

I did this over a few hours. I don't have finished measurements but after quite a bit of listening I can say that the results were a stunning improvement. The hd599 are decent to begin with but this took them to a higher level. I tried to keep most of the warm sound but also improve the highs so they sound cleaner and more natural. Cymbals sound much better. Also the bass balance improved by flattening to midbass slightly.

Attached are the measurements that I used to work from. I'm sure they aren't perfect but good enough. They came from this website and are appreciated.

HD599 | DIY-Audio-Heaven

There is also a screenshot of the equalizer settings.

If you want to try these settings on your 599's. Then the easiest way is to use the config file. Download and copy the config file I have attached. Then use windows explorer to find the equalizer apo directory on your PC. Then paste this into the directory with the current config file. Tell it to overwrite it. That will make this config the default settings. Open the program and you should see the new filters in place. You might want to save your old config file before doing this since it over writes.

Also I included a screen shot that shows you were to find your config file. Note there is a preamp section that lowers volume in the settings. You can shut this off if you want.

I will post new settings if I find something better. With more time and measurements the response could be improved more.

Attachments

• fr-hd599.png
    fr-hd599.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,361
  • config.txt
    315 bytes · Views: 1,504
  • Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    170.7 KB · Views: 2,330
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,277
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.