New to this world, beginner help for wifi streaming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I'm a casual-fi low-effort DIYer. I'm on the hunt for a nice solution to play spotify, airplay, and similar things through my existing amp & speakers.

I'd love for this to be as plug&play as possible but I know how to boot a linux kernel or solder a circuit board component if absolutely needed. One of the biggest things I'm after is an easy/seamless interface. I DO NOT want to have to go to a web browser in order to adjust the audio stream.

Most of our computers are Mac, our phones are a mix of Android and Apple.

I saw that there's an up2stream board available on amazon for $50 that almost fits the bill with airplay and an app for mobile devices, BUT it's 2.4ghz wifi only and we use 5ghz.

I'm only somewhat concerned about audio fidelity. Ease of use and total cost are much higher priorities to me.

Is a raspberryPi able to meet this need? Do I need to shell out for a Sonos Connect or similar non-DIY solution? Is there a competitor to up2stream that has 5ghz wifi modules? Did I miss a sticky thread that all beginners should read to understand the lay of the land?

I probably have lots of other questions, but any intro help that can be given would be lovely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.