SqueezeCore: a minimal audio OS running Squeezelite

It cannot be a waste of time since I created it for myself and then shared. Usually if I write code for anyone else other than me, as a dev, I get paid. So if you really want me to write it for RPI I can send you my price list :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There are 2 main reasons why I have written SqueezeCore for x86:
1- There are already distro that do pretty the same of SqueezeCore for Rpi
2- From my own experience, the sound quality difference that I perceived between RPI and a x86 pc has convinced me to write SqueezeCore for x86, and leave the RPI for web radios and nothing more.

For other users sorry for the "absence", the development has not stopped!
I'm currently writing the twin brother of SqueezeCore, an OS to use on the server pc. The amount of work compared to SqueezeCore is way bigger but I'm using these days in quarantine (I'm in the north of Italy) to spend a lot of time on this project.
Keep going Simofil, I look forward to the server o.s. especially if it has a GUI at some time.

It cannot be a waste of time since I created it for myself and then shared. Usually if I write code for anyone else other than me, as a dev, I get paid. So if you really want me to write it for RPI I can send you my price list :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There are 2 main reasons why I have written SqueezeCore for x86:
1- There are already distro that do pretty the same of SqueezeCore for Rpi
2- From my own experience, the sound quality difference that I perceived between RPI and a x86 pc has convinced me to write SqueezeCore for x86, and leave the RPI for web radios and nothing more.

For other users sorry for the "absence", the development has not stopped!
I'm currently writing the twin brother of SqueezeCore, an OS to use on the server pc. The amount of work compared to SqueezeCore is way bigger but I'm using these days in quarantine (I'm in the north of Italy) to spend a lot of time on this project.

hello, for the best audio quality, which version do you prefer rt or x86, I should install on a nuc base, to make it become a quality player
thanks

I tried the regular (non RT) stable version and it works very well. I used your default settings. Do you have specific recommendations for the Alsa and buffer setting?

Also, what is the benefit of the RT version?

Thanks for the great work.

Hi, the default settings should work with every hardware without any problem. You can play around of you want but you need to know what they do ->
FramesPeriods - AlsaProject
Too low and Extreme values will affect cpu load (which is not good)

If your cpu is at least a 2core/4thread you can try the RT version

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated :D

Yes, It Is possible.
I will create an image for the next releases with wifi support

While I was creating the build with wifi support to test it I noticed that to include all wifi drivers the size will grow well over 100MB.
This defeats the purpose to have a minimal OS. There are other O.S. for music reproduction with Squeezelite that are more feature-complete, the aim of squeezecore is not to be full of features.
If it's mandatory to use wifi there are some wifi to eth "adapters" at less than 20 bucks.

Tiny Core for me is great as it is for PC, x86 as most OSs are for Pi if small. I can live without WiFi but LMS capability would be great.
The world is awash with x86 thin clients almost, if not free. A Pi costs and it is not a PC.

This o.s. in only for the client/the pc connected to the DAC. I won't do an all-in-one O.S., for that purpose there is Daphile.
A "server" OS for LMS, media library management etc is W.I.P., but no ETA atm.