Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Separate ps for Khadas Tone Board ?
Separate ps for Khadas Tone Board ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2020, 01:07 PM   #1
sinski is offline sinski  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default Separate ps for Khadas Tone Board ?

Hi,
after reading some nice reviews about Khadas Tone Board i will order one and try as one usb dac with Pi 4. GPIO connection with Pi is not possible, only usb.

I would like to power the "Tone Board" separately at GPIO pins, not with usb 3 connection from Pi 4.

My question - what will be the best way to disable the dac usb power from Pi ? I need only usb data from pi. Just cut the "+5V" cable inside the usb cable ?

Old 31st January 2020, 01:28 PM   #2
AlanElsdon is offline AlanElsdon  England
diyAudio Member

If you Google “Khadas tone board external powering” you will see that the board should ignore any voltage from the USB cable when power is applied via pins 1 and 21.
Old 31st January 2020, 02:10 PM   #3
AlanElsdon is offline AlanElsdon  England
diyAudio Member

See also Post | Khadas
Old 31st January 2020, 02:15 PM   #4
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

I tried separate power as well as usb power with my Khadas, couldn't hear much of a difference if any.
Old 31st January 2020, 03:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you !!!
Old 1st February 2020, 08:27 AM   #6
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm running a RPi4 and a KTB since a couple of months.

The RPi 4 finally improved great times on its USB and ethernet part. I wouldn't have switched
back to USB Audio without this development. All older RPi or RPi based streamers or USB
bridges suffer that shared USB/network bus, sharing a single USB2.0 towards the CPU.
No matter what you attach to these old RPi based solutions you'll always face this IMO serious limitation.

The powering is done via Allo Shanti.
With shortened cables and relays on the output to eliminate the nasty turn on- and off problems
that come with Shanti and to be able to switch (remotely) both rails separately)

The main issue is that the KTB still needs buspower.

I feed the 3A-out of the Shanti to the KTB GPIO.
For my special RPi4 setup using the 1A Shanti output is OK.
But that won't work for everybody out there. You can just switch the rails. It'll also work.

Overall I do think the KDB works nicely with a RPi4. All my HATs (Katana, Audiophonics, IANs Fifo, etc, etc.)
are settling dust now. Pretty amazing. And I paid 89€ only for the KDB.

Watch out though.
We'll see a new brand popping up soon. It's called Soncoz. The KDB designer opened his own company.
By end of February he promised the evolution of the KDB. Now with a nice case, dual mono Sabre,
NO ESS-HUMP flaw, at around 199$. You'll find an early review incl measurements on AudioScienceReview.

That low-cost DAC area gets more and more crowded with IMO excellent devices. Great times.

Enjoy.

PS: Since I am running the USB DAC now I can use a quite effective passive cooling case for the RPi4.
The RPi4 generates seriously more heat then its predecessors.

Last edited by soundcheck; 1st February 2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you soundcheck
  Reply to this post

Separate ps for Khadas Tone Board ?Hide this!Advertise here!