Software to apply roll off to existing music files

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quite interested in this Harbeth forum post, which attempts to demonstrate the effect of not reproducing low frequencies via a series of edited music files.

Can anyone suggest freeware software (Mac or Win) which can be used to apply filters to my own music - I would be interested to find out if I can manage with smaller speakers (40Hz vs my current in room flat response to 30Hz). This would seem like a good experiment.

Last edited:
You can try Audacity:
Download | Audacity (R)

It can apply filter effects to your signal:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

high_pass_filter.png

What great and easy to use software. I just wrote a whole load and then the timeout feature of this forum lost it just as I posted. Grr...

Anyhow, the files a I produced are here - I will say that for the music I listen to a flat response to at least 40Hz is necessary. The difference is easily discernible between the original file and the ones with the 80Hz high pass filter applied.

My speakers are flat in room down to 30Hz, but I can't comment on the effect of losing information in the <30Hz area as subwoofers have never worked correctly in my room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.