high count (>8) multichannel audio using rPi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all, new to these boards (and new to diy audio in general) so please be gentle :) and mods if i have put this thread in the wrong category, please feel free to move:

looking to use a single raspberry pi running pure data for multichannel audio with a high channel count, somewhere in the 30 channel range. i know of at least 2 8 channel cards and/or kits (suptronics x6000 and the audio injector octo), but i don't believe you can daisy chain these to a single rPi... or can you? in a paradigm where i need, say, 32 channels of audio, it seems silly to run 4 rPis but perhaps this is necessary. for this particular project, as long as there's no buzzing, the audio quality does not need to be hifi at all: i'm just running some sine tones to very cheap speaker cones. but i do want each speaker to have an independent channel.

apart from this probably sounding nuts to all but a niche group of you, is this possible to do? am i looking at the wrong products?

mea culpa if this is a dumb question or i'm in the wrong place - i'm very very new to this arena and looking forward to learning.

Regular inexpensive USB soundcards run at fullspeed (12Mbps). That is about enough for a single 7.1 (48kHz 16bit 8ch = 6.1Mbps, plus USB overhead).

For connecting multiple fullspeed 7.1 soundcards to 480Mbps USB2 port a hub with multiple transaction translators (MTT) is needed. I would assume that is a standard nowadays but please check first.

Regular inexpensive USB soundcards run at fullspeed (12Mbps). That is about enough for a single 7.1 (48kHz 16bit 8ch = 6.1Mbps, plus USB overhead).

For connecting multiple fullspeed 7.1 soundcards to 480Mbps USB2 port a hub with multiple transaction translators (MTT) is needed. I would assume that is a standard nowadays but please check first.

Good catch, I'm glad you pointed this out. Should and do are not exactly the same thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.