USB > I2S asynchronous multichannel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Currently I am using an Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card, the one with the expansion header for multichannel support. I've built my own board that plugs in and sends the relevant clocks, via LVDS, to where it's needed.

Obviously the Xonar offers support for Dolby Digital and DTS decoding.

I've been interested in changing to a multichannel, asynchronous, USB>I2S solution but it occurred to me that none of them talk about Dolby and multichannel decoding.

I've never really given it much thought on how PCs handle multichannel support except for the fact that it just works. Now I use the PC for multichannel audio with games, movies, Netflix (via the windows 10 app) and anything else that has it to offer.

My question is, do the multichannel USB>I2S devices work how I would want them to? Does the PC perform any necessary decoding to allow multichannel audio, across the many formats it comes in, to work properly?

I say this because games/Netflix etc, don't offer much, if any, configurable settings, when it comes to routing their audio, it just happens automatically within windows. With something like Foobar and WMP, with relevant plug-ins, you can configure sound routing and ASIO sound routing, but I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in knowing if simply plugging in something like the USBStreamer, from miniDSP, and configuring it for multichannel audio, will have Windows automatically map surround sound, to the relevant channels, when a surround capable program/source is used?

Maybe I do not clearly understood the problem, but if I connect multichannel (8ch, XMOS based) USB interface to PC, Window is able to see it as 8ch sound card.
In movies, PC make all necessary conversion and send the multichannel raw data through USB to 8Ch DAC.
Also using JRiver or similar SW, it is possible to make digital crossover from 2ch stereo, and send through USB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.