(Project Idea) 4x4 diy usb audio device powered by raspberry pi 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The fraction of an idea I'm developing is to use a raspberry pi with a number of pre made ADC IC's and DIY amps & preamps to stream into a raspberry pi running some python or java to convert to a ASIO driver I would write to be connected to an external DAW.

Budget roughly 300$ without case

My question to you all is what IC's and components have you had good luck with? I'm looking for:

• ADC's
  • DAC's
  • Preamps with phantom (If I don't build myself)
  • Linux Libraries for creating usb audio packets

Thank you in advance forum geniuses

Last edited:
The fraction of an idea I'm developing is to use a raspberry pi with a number of pre made ADC IC's and DIY amps & preamps to stream into a raspberry pi running some python or java to convert to a ASIO driver I would write to be connected to an external DAW.

Budget roughly 300$ without case

My question to you all is what IC's and components have you had good luck with? I'm looking for:

• ADC's
  • DAC's
  • Preamps with phantom (If I don't build myself)
  • Linux Libraries for creating usb audio packets

Thank you in advance forum geniuses

You mention ICs and components, not devices. I just wanted to confirm that you are planning to design and build PCBs, write driver code, etc. Is that correct?

I have been using the R-Pi 2 and 3 for audio playback and using the CPU cores to run DSP in software. I use the Pi plus some USB DACs in active DSP loudspeaker projects that I build. USB DAC hardware under Linux can run up to 192kHz, and there are some XMOS based USB interfaces that can do DSD at higher rates. There are also multichannel USB DACs available. There are some I2S based DACs as well.

On the other hand, few ready made ADCs are available. There are one or two USB based ADC units that I know of, and only a couple of I2S 'hats' that include an ADC. By and large, pro DAW units are not supported under Linux, or only partially supported.

So, given the USB devices that are already available for the Pi, do you plan to use these off the shelf units, or build everything from scratch and write low level code/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.