RPi 3 ifi ipower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone using the RPi 3 with the ifi ipower? I'm on my second ipower. The first one would not boot the Pi. This one does however, there is a intermittent flash of the red led while I'm playing music; either streaming (wifi) or usb.

There are no drop-outs and plays consistently. I'm not really impressed, the standard psu sounds just as good.

Maybe I should connect the ipower to the Digi+ and see what happens (just not ready to solder the connections on yet and void the warranty... yet ;))

I have powered usb hub coming, maybe that will help.

sys= RPi3, 128GB SSD to usb, Moode, Digi+, Bluejeans coax, Emotiva XDA-1 (soon to be replaced)

Any thoughts about this psu?

thanks
eis

I'm looking into PSU(s) for a rpi 3 + HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

As far as there is ever a consensus in Hifi, I have found:

The main PSU (driving the RPI CPU, HDMI, Internet etc) is not very important; the standard wall wart is fine. A better PSU does not give better sound.

There is clear benefit to be had (on the DAC+) by driving the Analog stage with a (very) clean external PSU

https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/articles/205732441-DAC-Pro-external-power-supply

However, since the onboard regulator (ADP150) is spec'd at only 9uV noise, the external PSU does need to be "very good" for the desired improvement to happen.

It is possible to inject power after the ADP150 (via fancy track cutting and soldering), but this is definitely above my pay grade.

BugBear

Given the already 9uV noise of the DAC+ built in regulator, I'm looking for external PSUs that can do even better.

Older high performance regulator boards use complex circuits to either augment (or do without) higher noise regulator IC.

But recent regulator ICs give high performance "out of the box".

In particular, (from DIYINHK) we have

4.17 uV noise 4.17uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3V/5V 1Ax2 - DIYINHK TPS7A4700 based kit (2 channel) 50 USD

1.0uV noise http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-k...dac-power-supply-regulator-33v-50v-800ma.html ADM7150 based, 40 USD

.8 uV noise0.8uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator 3.3/5/7V 1.5A*x2 - DIYINHK LT3042 based kit, 60 USD.

On this forum, MRAVICA has offered a TPS7A4700 based kit at 24€, but he has none for sale at the moment.

On eBay at the moment, my googling led me to item 252501322400, a single channel TPS7A4700 kit from "alexey.ivanov" in United Arab Emirates (?!), at 30 USD.

The same guy also offers a tiny TPS7A4700 based board that is a plug in replacement for a 317 regulator in pre-existing boards.

Does anyone know this alexey.ivanov, or his designs? At the moment he's the cheapest available for TPS7A4700.

BugBear (off to look for LT3042 boards)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.