Software Crossover/Equalizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Deodato,

Thanks again for this crossover, it is very easy to set and integrates very easy in the system.

I am using SXQ with internal 7.1 board. Is running ok until now.

One note, maybe i can't see something..
For example if i put a HighPass at 35hz and a LowPass at 120Hz for low speakers, how can i delete or edit one of this filters without searching for them in the entire dropdown list? There should be only active filters and from them to chose one to edit or delete. I also wouldn't know what filters i have applied.

Edit: i can see it now, for each filter there is a different graphic and the filter to delete. Sorry! :)

2nd Edit: after a filter is added, there is no way to change Q or S to the existing filter, only F0 is editable. This is not necessarily an issue, just that you can't tell what Q or S you have applied with that filter.

The sound quality as far as i can tell is very good.

Tomorrow i will test a Asus xonar u7 USB board.

Last edited:
Tested SXQ with Asus Xonar U7 USB soundcard, configured as 5.1, so i use LMH LMH output scheme.

It works OK. No clicks, no pops. CPU usage is low, 3-5%, i have a mini PC, a Asrock Ion 330 with 1GHz processor.

As for the Asus Xonar USB card, i don't like the highs. The low is very good. The mids are neutral. Overall the Behringer UCA202 sounds better but it has only 2 channels.

Tested SXQ with Asus Xonar U7 USB soundcard, configured as 5.1, so i use LMH LMH output scheme.

It works OK. No clicks, no pops. CPU usage is low, 3-5%, i have a mini PC, a Asrock Ion 330 with 1GHz processor.

As for the Asus Xonar USB card, i don't like the highs. The low is very good. The mids are neutral. Overall the Behringer UCA202 sounds better but it has only 2 channels.

How have you set the volume control, the CS4398 doesn't have PGA, the volume control is implemented in interpolator (software). Might also be that U7 chipset introduces some jitter. Get yourself a better USB interface like a one using XMOS asynchronous USB audio implementation, for an example this one:

Behringer: U-PHORIA UMC1820

E: For some reason that interface doesn't seem to be available yet even though it was announced over a year ago. There is the UMC204HD but it's only 4x4 channel interface. Focusrite also uses XMOS chips, like Presonus, they might have something with 6 output channels.

Last edited:
There is a problem, a bug.

After some playback, 10 or 15 minutes, i can't tell exactly, maybe less, the highs volume drops (in my setting is Path 1 and 4). I have noticed this after my monitor enters sleep, when i move the mouse, the sound re-adjusts and the highs are there again. I noticed this several times, i thought i was not listening with attention but there surely is a problem. Also, maybe it is not only the highs.. i can't tell at this moment, have to listen more.

Hello Arcgotic,

Obviously there is an interaction with the power saving functionality of your system and the sound. SXQ has no ps interaction, and I could not think of a mechanism that would make SXQ simply lower the volume. SXQ as a stream processor is really supposed to keep on working, the process cannot be frozen without losing sync. I suspect the interaction is with your driver, or perhaps even with the VAC. Let's find out what's going on! Or, do like I always do, and disable all power saving and turn the system off when not in use (actually I always keep it on for best reponsiveness don't tell the climatologists).

Hello Deodato,

I will do some tests with 'monitor power off after 15min' switched to Never, the rest of the settings are already set to Never. I will report back.

Also, two questions, if you'll be kind to answer.

1) Is there a way to export the simulated response for one path? So i can compare and merge with an exported file from Holm measurement.

2) Did you experienced any ringing artifacts in sound? I am hearing some metallic ring and i cannot identify specific speaker or part of the system that makes it.

Thank you!

Hello Arcgotic,

If you want an export of the response all you can do now is open de source of the page containing the graphs, there will be list of values (Hz, dB) for each graph. You will have to figure out which list for which graph.

As for the ringing issue, I never experienced that, but if it is produced by SXQ it would be an annoying bug that needs attention.

Later edit: Now both the Asus U7 and Cable are set at 44.1. Will do some more listening but there is still some very small amount of ringing. Yet very annoying.

It is easy revealed when piano is playing, on swift and strong key notes. For example Ahmad Jamal Trio - album Blue Moon, track Autumn Rain, just at the beginning, second 10 or so, when the piano is hit.

Strange. I never get any ringing, and I use 48k/48k. Played the same track. LMH LMH. It could be your config, but then I do not understand why the sample freqs matter. Could you try and start a new config (perhaps back up existing) and find out when it occurs? If it already occurs with only crossover freqs set then there is definitely something wrong. I want my system to ring like yours.

Currently I use the 'hifi cable' from VB. Never had any cable related issues by the way. I did however have problems with a cheap 8 channel USB adapter from Sweex; it gave the kind of distortion you describe, and it also did so in two channel mode without SXQ or anything. Its chip pedigree seemed in order, so I suspect it may be driver related.

At the time I thought that the C-Media chip used in the Sweex adapter would be ok because Asus used them too. Now I see that it is your particular Asus adapter that uses a C-Media chip. I now suspect I know exactly what your distortion sounds like. I also remember that you did not like the hp sound, so pls check the sound without SXQ or anything special.

Thanks Deodato for the info. I just bought this card... :(

I will try to install older drivers and check the USB ports. I read somewhere that the cable from Microphone jack could be a source of noise.

And a question:
In the Bass section, i cross it lowpass 120hz LR4. If i add a High Shelf filter at 60hz, does the CPU process this filter in all range? I mean even at 20kHz? Even though bass sound will drop because of the LR4 filter? I am trying to choose the lowest CPU intensive filters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.