Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Daphile issue

Dear Phofman,

Thanks a lot for your answer and these informations.

I looked at sound/quirks.c at master * tiwai/sound * GitHub
The Dac is listed line 1392 ‘ case USB_ID(0x22e1, 0xca01): /* HDTA Serenade DSD */
May be I am wrong, but because my Dac is in this list and correctly identified by Daphile, DSF files natively support would work …
RIGHT ??

Daphile reads .dsf, because the functionality ‘convert DSD to PCM’ allows me to listen to my .dsf files once converted to PCM by Daphile (but the sound is less precise)

It is strange that ‘DSD over PCM’ and ‘Native’ options both fail.

To go further, I tried to have a look to /proc/asound/card2/stream0 file
I apologize for my poor knowledge in Daphile and Linux :
1. I understand from your mail that it is located in the Daphile file system
>>RIGHT ??
2. If so, how can I get access to it, knowing that once Daphile is started, the PC where Daphile runs seems locked ? I looked into the Daphile preinstallation key and the Daphile Iso file, but no such /proc/asound/card2/stream0 file seems to be there. I do not have any linux PC and the final key where Daphile is installed is not recognized by windows explorer.

And finally, in the case I could check this last point, would Daphile allow me to change any of its internal code or parameters to solve the issue ? And how without any Linux environment at home ?

Could you give me more information to investigate, and to fix the problem ?
May be my questions are stupid and the answer obvious …

Thanks once again.

Daphile issues

Hello Phofman, Drone7,

Now I understand why it does not work.

Many thanks for this additional information.

To solve it :

. I have installed the Daphile beta version.

. I downloaded “sound-4.18-rc1: sound updates for 4.18” from Release sound-4.18-rc1: sound updates for 4.18 * tiwai/sound * GitHub
And had a look at the decompressed files

. I also read the Web page where the patch is described
[PATCH] ALSA: add more quirks for DSD interfaces — ALSA Devel

I suppose I have to apply the patch or replace the 4.14 Kernel version by the 4.18 one.
Could you indicate more precisely where (on the installation key, the preinstallation one ? anywhere else) and how can I do that ?
(step by step, because my Linux knowledge is really ZERO)

If it fails, I will have to wait until the 4.18 kernel to be implemented in the Daphile new versions.

Best regards

I suppose I have to apply the patch or replace the 4.14 Kernel version by the 4.18 one.
Could you indicate more precisely where (on the installation key, the preinstallation one ? anywhere else) and how can I do that ?
(step by step, because my Linux knowledge is really ZERO)

Replacing a non-packaged kernel is not a simple task in regular linux distributions, let alone in an embedded distribution with read-only root filesystem like daphile.

I will have to wait until the 4.18 kernel to be implemented in the Daphile new versions.

I am afraid that is what you will have to do.

In the meantime you can check the new kernel does recognize your DAC by running a live distribution. That way you would learn a bit about linux too.

Since kernel 4.18 is brand new, very few distributions have it incorporated into their live iso image. I found only debex Exton DOWNLOAD | Exton Linux | Live Systems DebEX Barebone Linux 64 bit download | SourceForge.net

Last edited:
Daphile issues - Daphile plugin

Hello Triplefun,

If you were talking about the Kimmo plugin "Play back of DSD files (.dsf .dff) via your squeezebox", YES, I activated it two days ago.
With no results (I do not use squeeze box, and the plugin seems focused on squeeze box users)

Thanks for the proposal

regards

PS : I can't see other dsd plugin in the Daphile plugin list

Daphile issues

Hello Phofman, Drone7,

I will follow your wise advises :

. Not to try a “no-simple” set up without knowledge and experience for that.
And quietly wait until Daphile developers implement 4.18 kernel version.
Anyhow, I can always listen to my DSD files using Windows foobar, even if I m sure the audio quality will be under daphile one, and that I must reboot the PC each time.

. In the meantime, I will little by little increase my understanding of Linux environment.
(it won’t be difficult, I am starting from scratch !)
I could always be useful.

I have to consider ‘the sunny side of the street’ :
Daphile allows me a better audio pleasure on my PCM files, which are 80% of my music.

Thanks a lot to everybody for the help and advises, may be I will get back to you later if my Linux knowledge seems to me later best enough to implement the modification by myself.

Best regards

I do not want to put you off, but adding new kernel to existing daphile installation is most likely very complicated. IMO the distribution image is built by some script from a preconfigured set of rules, very likely the gentoo catalyst tool Catalyst - Gentoo Wiki

If you do not have the configuration scripts, you cannot rebuild the image.

But again, you can always download another linux live CD/USB with kernel 4.18 and some clickable GUI environment, prepare a bootable USB (simple in windows), boot from it and check that stream0 file for DSD parameters of your DAC.

Hello Triplefun,

If you were talking about the Kimmo plugin "Play back of DSD files (.dsf .dff) via your squeezebox", YES, I activated it two days ago.
With no results (I do not use squeeze box, and the plugin seems focused on squeeze box users)

Thanks for the proposal

regards

PS : I can't see other dsd plugin in the Daphile plugin list

Daphile uses squeezelite as its player!
Also have you raised your issue with Kimmo?

Daphile issues - Daphile DSD plugin

Hello Triplefun

I confirm this plugin is ON (parameters attached) since two days

If it should fix the problem ... I had better contact Kimmo

Is he a DiyAudio member or can I get in touch with him directly ?

Regards

Attachments

• Paramétrages Daphile advanced.doc
    73.5 KB · Views: 109
Hey everyone,

New here, I've been reading the Daphile thread for days on end now and I wonder, how can I password protect it, so only I can access it on the network? As I see it right now, it's wide open so anyone on this network can get in and mess with the settings etc?

I am appr. half way through the thread and haven't seen anyone asking this question yet, which seems odd to me tbh.

If this has already been asked and answered somewhere, then I apologize, if someone could please share their thoughts on this it would be really appreciated.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Having used Daphile for nearly as long as it has been created, I am not aware of such protection. Out of curiousity, who on your network might want to fiddle with it and why?

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

Well, there are quite a few members on this same network and (please correct me if I'm wrong) as far as I understand, anyone can see the "Daphile" under network, click on it, browse around the Settings, see passwords etc?

I wonder, if someone else on the network, browse into a playlist and clicks on a song... that would change it on my end as well, correct? So anyone on the network can mess around like that?!

Last edited:
My solution is to firewall off a separate network segment purely for the music stuff.

You mean like create another, password protected Guest network and use it exclusively for Daphile? I've thought about this, but the existing router does not have a dual-netowrk option (not a dd wrt router) so out of luck I guess.

I've tried beta, then access Daphile via ssh, even via ftp, but could not find where to put .htaccess and .htpasswd file, to pass protect that way either.

Anyone tried this yet?

Thanks for your input as well Julf!

Last edited: