Brutefir or min dsp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, since 4 years using ubuntu studio now with KX studio on AMD 3.1 MHZ bla 4 CPU. Ardourpro is mostly used with Edirol UA 101 and Motul ultralite (not MKIII as it will not work..) I'm happy with it.

Axel Ridtahler designed me a Ripol working with Manger speaker. The Manger 7 litres box is sitting low of center behind a 70 cm round woodden circular shaped ....hm:D

a wounderfull 2 way system:):sax:

In need of an x-over. Mini DSP as Brutefir i did not find any hint how to realize a two way x-over.

what do u think......are the other options, not Windows based in the digital domain. :sax::sax:

The power amps will be 41 Khz boards

payed violin, contrabass, now piano and electric guitar

I played with brutefir and jconvolver as crossovers until I found out about zita-lrx. It's quite new and from the author of jconvolver (Fons Adriaensen). I found it to be extremely easy to set up as it uses the same config file syntax as jconvolver.

I am using both in a two way setup (jconvolver for room correction and zita-lrx for XO) and it plays really sweet.

Both can be found here:

LinuxAudio-Downloads

Not into Linux stuff, so I can't say what is out there and evaluate the performance of all the different codes, but I did take a look at zita-lrx and it looks pretty seriously limited. It claims to have the following functionality:
Zita-lrx is a command line jack application providing 2, 3, or 4-band,
4th order crossover filters. The filter type is continuously variable
between Linkwitz-Riley (-6dB at the xover frequency) and Butterworth
(-3 dB at the xover frequency). Outputs are exactly phase matched in
the crossover regions.

The application supports up to 16 channels.
There is much more to designing and implementing a good loudspeaker crossover than choosing between Butterworth4 and LR4 filters... It doesn't matter how many channels of this that the code can process, the functionality is severely limited IMHO.

I've written a suite of tools for processing driver frequency response measurements and then designing active crossovers for them that can be implemented in the MiniDSP platform as "advanced biquads" (arbitrary second order filter blocks). Essentially you can implement any linear filter using IIR in the MiniDSPs, and the flexibility is huge. You might want to consider that route. Here is a link to my crossover design software:
the Active Crossover Designer web page

Shoot me a PM if you have questions...

-Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.