So I want my PC hooked up to my system, newby questions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so Im a basic cd player into preamp/amp and speaker type of guy and want to use my laptop to play cd's and to store music.

Basic questions, is the kind of laptop as important as the DAC? My laptop is about 5 yrs old, has usb ports that can be used with a DAC?

I guess if I can get some of you guys to let me know what equipment you use and how you use it, it could help me out a bit.

Any input appreciated

Thanks

Ok so Im a basic cd player into preamp/amp and speaker type of guy and want to use my laptop to play cd's and to store music.

Basic questions, is the kind of laptop as important as the DAC? My laptop is about 5 yrs old, has usb ports that can be used with a DAC?

I guess if I can get some of you guys to let me know what equipment you use and how you use it, it could help me out a bit.

Any input appreciated

Thanks

I have similar aged laptop and use turtlebeach micro USB setup. Amazon.com: Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter: Electronics

very economic solution, just use the 3.5mm out (not optical) and connect to amp input. It sounds great to my ear on my diy t-amp clone and my diy speaker.

It may sound counter intuitive but I would start with the best transport, or in your case computer source as possible. Take into consideration hard drive size, type of hard drive, as in solid state or traditional, screen size, and software. Then pick up a basic, entry level DAC to complete the rig. Entry level DACs surprise many by in fact not stinking at their job. Then you could think about upgrading your DAC. This is how I would do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.