How to get rid of Winamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I loved using Winamp, until version 3 or so...once AOL bought Nullsoft, the program got way too bloated.

Foobar is what Winamp was like back in version 2, with even more functionality :)

I agree with you, Foobar2000 is a great app, very lean and easy on system resources.
It has been that way for many years, and is my favorite player.
It also lets you convert files to different formats which is handy.
Winamp definitely has become way too bloated, same as adobe reader and many other "popular" apps.
I prefer to look for good open source alternatives myself, there are plenty of good offerings out there, and sourceforge.net is a great place to start.

I loved using Winamp, until version 3 or so...once AOL bought Nullsoft, the program got way too bloated.

Foobar is what Winamp was like back in version 2, with even more functionality :)

Version 3 was indeed bloated as hell. Luckily in version 5 they re-introduced a "Classic" mode. If you choose classic mode on installation, you basically get a Winamp 2 minus bugs and so on. It's very lean.

I didn't ask for it, and I certainly don't want it.

Some software do behave like viruses. Some can even be injected by virus. In Windows, applications are associated with a service. There are many background and hidden applications that run as a service. Terminating a related service is a major step in virus removal procedure.

To see the services type SERVICES.MSC

To delete a service i use SCDELETE <ServiceName>

I know that you may not be familiar with those but unfortunately there are things that we cannot learn in just a minute, a day or a year.

What about in 9 years? :spin:

There are also things that you can't learn in 9 years ;) I wasn't talking about this computer thing only. But assisting users for computer troubleshooting can become unexpectedly time consuming. There isn't a straight procedure. Next steps will usually depend on current responses. For example, in this situation, you don't even know if the OP is running Linux or Macintosh.

Dude! It's treasure that need to be kept! I still use this most of the time, but if you want to seriously remove it :( :( you can go to control panel > Uninstall a program > then look for the winamp.

Winamp is long gone and not been used by many now a days though it can still be downloaded but it will never install itself without your consent, so if you think it's a virus or a malware I suggest to install a antivirus then scan your whole laptop/pc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.