My Zen V4 Dual Mono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you Mr Pass for this Penultimate Zen Diy project. I'm a newbie in this hobby and the simplicity of this project really gave me encouragement and finally satisfaction. After burning in the Zen 4 for around 20 hours, it sounds very good. I'm playing back my CD collection one by one, noticing that each of them are different from what I have known before. This amp is very comfortable to listen to. Thanks! Mr Pass.:cool: My coming project will be a pair of Aleph 5 Mono.

:angel: :drink:

Wallace

Attachments

• zenv4.jpg
    zenv4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,640
David,

I followed Mr Pass's article of Penultimate Zen as close as possible since I'm a newbie I wouldn't change anything that I didn't fully understand. I used 2 transformers from Avel Lindberg, one for each channel being 250VA, 18+18V. I use two 26,000 uF power supply caps for each channel (got them from Apex Jr.). For the chassis, I bought aluminium sheet from onlinemetal.com; top, bottom and rear are all 1/8 inch thick. They are bolted together with L-bar. Front plate is custom made from par-metal.com, 3/16" thick and was clear anodized. Will post more pics after work.

Mad_K,

I actually plan to build A5 long before the Zen V4's article was released. You know, I feel a little nervous by just having the service manual for me to start. Although Mr Pass said that A5 is not harder to build than Zen V4 (and A5 require no adjustment) I feel much more comfortable to have a "construction manual" to follow. So, I did Zen V4 first, kind of a hand on experience for me a newbie. You might not know how this kind of article is so precious for me. I literally read it many many times to get an idea what's going on and what should I do. Like the balanced line stage article, in a paragraph Mr Pass mentioned how to wire a transformer. Someone may think it not necessary, but to me, it was so helpful. To this point, I really amazed how can a super veteran like Nelson can be so considerate to newbie diyer. :nod:

You know what, I have already have the matched mosfets, heatsink and PCB for Aleph 5. I'm so eager to build one. Stereophile elect Pass' Aleph series to be one of the most significant 100 audiophile equipments. I think I would be proud to own a clone of such a fine amplifier.

Wallace

just as a question i seen on the diy some where and booked marked it but lost teh bok mark i seen some where on here the pcb layout in pdf format any one know where that is..?

PWEESE...

( mani got to start saving things to my external hard drive..) 120 gig's is alot of saved things but ill have it ..)

Jason

Trigon,

Those are brass plate to spread heat among the heatsinks. Still the center one is remarkably hotter than the others.

JasonL,
It sound pretty good to me. I'm still waiting my speaker to ship to me. Right now I just hook it with a crappy loudspeaker but I'm quite enjoying. :cool:

Wallace

i agree ias i too have crappy speakers till i build some new ones.

here is my choice

a pair of either paradigm studio 100's or a pair of towers from enercy conosure 9's

or

build a pair or satelite speakers consisting of a 7" vocal driver and a focal tweeter and then 4 10" sub of focal drivers .. ill be powering the 10" with my av800. after some mods. and teh satelite speakers with my aleph 5's

what you think...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.