2*18V O-core 1000VA group buy, any interest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to order trafo's for a zen v7 project, and thought if any of you alep x people would like to join in on a group buy?

The point of this is to get O-core tafo's, lower induction per turn and primaries enamelled to the core.

Naturally no parallel runs of wire will be accepted and so forth, generally an effort to get the best possible.

If we can gather orders for 26 trafo's we can get them for 134 eur a piece plus startup fee (120eur).

Magura:)

Magra: When you say O hole, you mean toroidal right?

DW8083: Here is a quote I got from Victoria Magnetics in Georgia recently:

Hello Guy,

The 750 VA (120 VAC @ 60 Hz primary, dual 18 VAC sedcondaries and shielding) transformers you are inquiring about are approx. 5.9" diameter, 3.6" height and weigh 13lbs. Cost of the transformers is $94.00 each and lead times are currently running 18-21 days. Size for the 1kva version is approx. 6.4" in diameter and 2.625" in height, this is the next larger core size we use but is a bit lower profile. Cost for the transformer is $158.00 and shipping would be $15.54, shipping for the 750 watt would be $12.82, I quoted shipping cost for a pair.

Regards,
John Snowden
Victoria Magnetics

Magura: I noticed your transformer is almost an inch bigger in diameter. does yours come with a shield?

kilowattski said:
Magra: When you say O hole, you mean toroidal right?

DW8083: Here is a quote I got from Victoria Magnetics in Georgia recently:

Magura: I noticed your transformer is almost an inch bigger in diameter. does yours come with a shield?

I wrote O-core, thet refers to the cross section of the core, as opposed to the standard type, which has a square cross section, see link. The O-cores virtually eliminates the stray field of the trafo, hence no shield required. The eficiency of O-cores is also higher than standard (almost 10% higher).

http://www.alphacore.com/ocore.htm

The reason for the transformers being bigger is that they will have quite a bit more copper than your average toroidal, in order to get the induction per turn lower, wich in return makes the transformer a lot less sensitive to noise and over voltage of the mains.

This is pretty much the point of this transformer purchase, simply to get the best trafo on god's green earth. Something that seems to be hard to find. In this case I have had the option to instruct the manufacturer to make them the best way possible, and with no cutting corners, as opposed to what I have seen so far (I just returned a pair of 1000va 2*18v trafo's today because they were not up to my specifications, though they were supposedly made for audio).

My conclusion so far have been that it is no problem to find cheap trafo's, but to find top quality is virtually impossible, hence the offer to make a group buy.

Just to clear any misunderstandings before they even arise, the price difference for 4 as I need by now or 26 is relatively small (about 2 hours pay), so this is an offer to help a couple of fellow DIY'ers out, and will be dealt with as such.

I have emailed victoria magnetics to get a quote, I am also in the process of getting quotes from other manufacturers.

The problem is that most manufacturers are not really able to make a trafo like this, they naturally claim that they are, but according to my (very expensively bought) experience, they are not. Hence the solution to choose a local manufacturer that I can visit and explain face to face, what we actually want and expect.

I have recieved quotes from 2 manufaturers by now, and am still in negotiations with another 2. Not a word from Victoria Magnetics (not that I expected to get any response from them, as they are famous for not responding to requests for quotes).

The first manufacturer was offering the same as I already have been offered, the second couldn't make the quality demands.

One of the manufacturers I had a chat with this morning sounded promising.

I hope to have the final quote in the mail by friday.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.