LX-Mini + 6-24 Crossover

I built a normal Pass 6-24 crossover and I was impressed with the results vs a passive crossover on the same speaker. I was also interested in the Linkwitz builds and his collaboration with Mr. Pass. I took the plunge and constructed a pair of LX-Minis. Initially I used a MiniDSP HD for correction and was pretty impressed. But already sold on the ACN solution, I wanted to compare to the ACN Nelson constructed for SL for the Mini. LX-Mini XO I built it and it was a huge improvement over the DSP.

I wasn't impressed with the low end on the Minis so I decided to construct another 6-24 to cross from the Mini ACN to a woofer/sub woofer low level output. I internally fed low output from the Mini ACN to the input of the 6-24 ACN board. This allows me to characterize the High Pass curve on the Mini mid-range speaker and the low pass curve to an additional sub-woofer output. Effectively making this a very characterizable three way Mini crossover. It is working extremely well. Thought I'd pass this idea along.

ACtC-3fwuhCWXumNbsJXkUv64zRENuVGSdD9Sv5nrB3cbUJiWVlrh5KTw3MIhJkKqBrOEci77eQO5GUThqH8d5Uxm4BsfMBDp1zz972McRm8NaYyh8wqeRXGpmDug_JlWNUl2RzoE4tnt9MOjzAMWAPq_-_B=w1199-h899-no

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Greetings,

I am a little surprised that this new thread has not been responded to. In any case, I have just finished the LXmini ACN board and like the idea of adding subwoofers down the road with a second board. It seems that a 3way board may be avail, or coming, however I did not see it offered at the DIY store.

So, here is where I’m at with the LXmini board.
I Populated the board, which took some time, but all seemed to go well. I had a 24vdc wall wart on hand (Triad WDU24-1200).

Here are my test readings.

WW raw output – 28.9VDC
R47-R49 – all .7
R50,R51 – both 13.2
R13-R16 – All 1.4
R35-R38 – All 1.4
R39-R42 – All 0
R1-R4,R31,R32 All 14.7

According to the testing guidelines, some variances from the target voltages, can be expected. My question is; are the variances above too high for the ACN longevity and best performance?

Thank you,
Mark

Hi Mark,

" It seems that a 3way board may be avail.."
Indeed it is: Nelson Pass 3-way stereo pcb for LXmini+2 and LXstudio is available at the Linkwitz.store . For adding a subwoofer , the LXmini woofer response is adapted.

During these times of component shortage, the pcb & components offer might be a consideration.The ASP can be configured as balanced or unbalanced inputs/outputs.

Cheers, Frank

Has anyone measured the crosstalk of this circuitry? I have the ACN hooked up to LXmini's, and I hear A LOT of information from either channel playing through the opposite channel. Using a test CD with information restricted to either left or right, I can easily hear that signal in both left and right speakers, although significantly diminished in the "wrong" channel. It clearly is ruining channel separation. Is that intentional, or have I built something incorrectly? When I connect inputs from preamp directly to the power amp, bypassing the ACN, the information is perfectly segregated. Does anyone else experience this?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Is that intentional, or have I built something incorrectly? When I connect inputs from preamp directly to the power amp, bypassing the ACN, the information is perfectly segregated. Does anyone else experience this?
I haven’t built one, so I can’t say from experience, but that seems incorrect not intentional. I’m not clear on your setup, since the ACN would normally connect to two amps, but have you tried testing whether the crosstalk is only on the high pass output, low pass, or both?

I haven’t built one, so I can’t say from experience, but that seems incorrect not intentional. I’m not clear on your setup, since the ACN would normally connect to two amps, but have you tried testing whether the crosstalk is only on the high pass output, low pass, or both?
Interesting that you respond to a post on a topic about which you know very little. Thanks, anyway.

I know how the xover is intended to work. I was using two monoblocks for mids/highs, and a single stereo amp for bass. In that configuration, the stereo leakage happened on both hi and low range speakers. When I bypassed the xover to go direct to power amp, I used only the stereo amp with the monoblocks disconnected just to simplify the test, and there was zero crosstalk. I am almost certain the monoblocks would not contribute to crosstalk because I have used them in plenty of other setups. I am also certain it is the ACN.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Peace,
Tom E

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I haven't run into this as an issue with the 6-24, but I suppose that it's possible that you are experiencing
a ground loop, possibly through AC earth grounding.

Such a thing could reflect the grounding of the line level connections talking to the output grounding
of a power amp.

If that's the case, there would be some experiments in ground connections that might show it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I revisited my build and found the problem: reversed polarity on one pair of output leads. Dumb, but I'm probably not the first person ever to do it.

Lesson 1: use two different colors of wire for twisted leads (I had only one color on hand), or at least mark polarity on one wire before twisting.

Lesson 2: this xover will work with polarity of output leads reversed, and will provide a nice blending of stereo channels, but it is not recommended.