DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Rough dimensions coming in at a very tidy and svelt—
in inches:
11.5 Wide x 12.5 Deep x 7.5" high from the floor

metric:
292mm W x 318mm D x 190mm H

Add some depth for the VERY nice jacks.

Incidentally—around 115F on the top of the sinks, dropping to mid 90s midway down, about 108F on the body of a Vfet. Brick is tepid to the touch. Sweet! Been running this for a couple of days, all types of music. Vinyl and hi-res digital (plus movies)—it's fabulous (and an honor to get to play it ahead of the curve so to speak).

That's a very nice and compact unit. Pictures looked bigger.

Yes they are. Aren't they beautiful ... but imagine the inrush current when they power up. :eek: :D

Just a bit less than the inrush to the 210,000uF cans in my big Alelph-X amps :D Each of these mono amps has a cool half a Farad in the power supply. When I first powered one of them up, my wife asked if it was me that made the lights in the room dim...

May i ask if the future version based upon the tokin's will be a little more power capable ?

thanks

Something similar. Details of mounting, biasing and such. The Tokins being N channel parts would look more like part 2 of this project, where the polarities are reversed. One interesting result for N channel follower is that you don't have to reverse polarity twice to get the 2nd harmonic phase negative.

Big upside is the potential for more power.

This makes me wonder: :scratch2:
Can the diyAudio store beautiful chassis handle much more power?

This makes me wonder: :scratch2:
Can the diyAudio store beautiful chassis handle much more power?

OK. Based on the dimensions provided by pfarrell, and some rough calculations, the surface area of this chassis heatsink should be 15% higher compared to the heatsink of a 4U Dissipante chassis, making this chassis suitable for any FW amplifier project if you take into account its internal space limitations.

Nice! :up:

Maybe the diyAudio Store can make this chassis a permanent offer in the future! ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Which ones do you like, Dave?

First i like them to have industry standard ¾” spacing so i can use my dual Pomonas.

Typically these:

CONNEX-53464.jpg

ConneX Connector Dual Binding Posts 5-Way Slot

This amp might seserve some ETI posts thou (the WBT next gen are really hard to get close enuff).

eti-research-binding-post-bp20c.jpg

Binding Posts - ETI Research

dave

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Gianluca,

Will those of us that are unlucky be able to buy the chassis after the lottery?

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, the chassis will be available after the lottery. It will be sold for a regular price, that is in line with the prices of other chassis the store is selling.

What's printed on the front (VFET? SIT? MOSFET?) and styling cues (angled lines, vertical lines) might vary, and we'll try to produce ones with text that matches what you are building. What do you want to use it with?

One advantage of using silver chassis is that we can digital print black on silver in a single pass, which looks really sharp and crisp. To digital print a nice medium-grey (rather than a bright white) on black means printing white first, then grey, which doesn't look as good and requires screen printing. Screen printing means having to produce the screen, has some production limitations, and isn't really suitable for small batches, which means it's hard to change the design or text. Silver with digitally printed black text looks really sharp, allows us to be flexible with the printing and appears to be a winning combo moving forward.

It's a nice chassis. There is the "V" version you see which was designed specifically for this VFET amplifier, as well as a more classic / timeless design with vertical lines. There may be other variations in the future.

We produced 200 of these chassis to go with the limited run of 180 VFET-included kits. This first batch of chassis are being offered via the lottery, sold at-cost, and numbered. Congrats to anyone who gets one of those.

The extra 20 was to ensure those lucky few diyAudio members who have their own VFETs didn't miss out. It looks like there might be more than 20 people in that situation so it looks like we'll be making a second run of chassis for them, and yourself if you'd like.

One thing at a time, but yes, there will be more of these and you will will be able to buy them (whether at the regular price or not TBD).

Would winners be able to buy the parts without the chassis, or is it a package deal? The site wasn't clear about that.

Yes. We wanted people who are on a budget or wanted to scratch-build enclosures to be catered for. Any extra chassis won't have a problem finding a home.

Thanks for all of the efforts from the people who have made this happen.
I am one of those people who are just unlucky when it comes to "winning" something.
But I did purchase a nice stash from the kind gentleman in Japan, thank you as well.
I am glad the chassis will be available for the rest of us to purchase, although I would think "the extra 20" may be a little light

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I am glad the chassis will be available for the rest of us to purchase, although I would think "the extra 20" may be a little light

Yes it was a little light, especially if most people choose to take the chassis (a variable). We also didn't know how many had VFETs already (another variable). The only proper way to know demand and ensure nobody is annoyed is to do a pre-order. But we didn't want people to have to wait 6 months and pre-orders come with their own littany of problems, especially when they are being done at-cost with international shipping charges (yet another variable). Between the start of the B1K pre-order and when we shipped, COVID hit and FedEx shipping prices tripled (we didn't ask customers to cover the change in shipping prices).

This was the most complicated offering the store has organized yet with a lot of moving pieces. We've learned a few things along the way though that will make what's coming in the future even better :)