Help With Provenance: Pass Labs Zen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I tripped across this amp the other day, but passed on it until I could confirm some info on it.

It is a Zen, that I know. I was led to believe that is was built by Pass Labs (not a kit) and that it won some HiFi competition in the 1990's.

Can anyone shed some light on it? There are no markings on the case, only on the board as pictured. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1522.JPG
    IMG_1522.JPG
    703.8 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 685
Certainly does not look like a Pass Labs in house quality build. The Zen amps were designs released by the master and were built by hobbyists all round the world. Your photo quite clearly show it was built "at home" by someone.

Could be a Pass Labs derived pcb, although I don't remember it as such.

Looking at the Zen amp article, there was a published pcb by Nelson - not sure where one could get it though.

Maybe Mr Pass can shed more light on it for you, 25 years or so ago since the design came to light.

The builder has added more PSU caps and inductance to make it a CLC PSU - not as per original design either.

You can find the amp article at Pass Diy and download it if needed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.