help identifying capacitors in FET-10/PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I've found schematics for almost every version of the FET-10 except the FET-10/PC (not PE). I'm trying to figure out whether the yellow "Wonder-Cap" things in this picture are 1uf or 1000uf. Any help much appreciated.

Also if anyone can tell me what the little yellow parts are...I know the picture isn't great but maybe someone just knows!

Thanks very much!
Ross in Denver
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If image doesn't load, it's here: Dropbox - FET-10PC large pic .jpg - Simplify your life

Looking at your photo, the 4 larger yellow Wonder Caps are 1uF/200VDC.
Then there are 4 off 10uF/100VDC green film caps.
The smaller yellow Wonder Caps are hard to read but look like 0.0015uF/100VDC and the 2 off thin long yellow caps are impossible to read.
All of these should still be OK.

G'day, Gary! Thanks very much. If I'm replacing stuff out of some combination of replacing stuff just because it's old and wanting to take on the project for fun and maybe some marginal improvement in audio quality, which things would you replace and which would you leave alone?
Thanks!
Ross (married to an Aussie!)

Is it working all right, no hum, noise, missing gain etc?

Then leave it alone, you would be having much more fun doing a simple diy project instead - just for the fun of it.

It is already a great Pre-amp and simply swapping components that are not defective is (un)fortunately not likely to give anything more than marginal gains at best if any - the parts that you could swap for more extreme parts are the Polycarbonates, but there is just no room for adding e.g. teflon caps or similar.

You could/should check the power supply electrolytics are okay. But part from that I wouldn't touch it - unless Nelson has a specific hot tip for deeper modifications.

OK, Norgaard, you've talked me out of some stuff. On the mainboard I'm only replacing the electrolytic caps. And I'll replace the caps and a couple of other small parts in the power supply but that's a much lower-risk proposition and it's the stuff that was probably more likely to wear out anyway. I need to think of a DIY project to make something that I might actually need. One thing I've been having a lot of fun with is building my own cables. Made some VERY nice speaker cables and next gonna make some XLR interconnects!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.