Simple SE Sit Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson says there’s an edcor on the front end. Mark, you have mentioned a ‘pass’ front end and then 4 other optional front end cards. Is the edcor present only on the pass lab front end? Also I had this thought about the M2x before, seems to apply to the new vfet as well...is there any reason you cannot build 2 daughter card options and put them on a switch?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
[about the four optional "front end" PCBs pictured in post #54 of this thread] .... Technical details won't be provided until (A) the actual VFET amplifier itself has been released & NP has described its principles of operation; and also (B) the front end cards have been successful mated with the VFET amplifier boards.

Neither (A) nor (B) has happened (that I'm aware of), not yet anyway.

To my knowledge & belief, the fifth "front end" PCB, the not-optional one designed by Nelson Pass, hasn't been photographed from any angle. Not even edge wise.

I've adopted the same policy as member 6L6, stated in the final line of his post #115.

_

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Don't forget, other vfets like 2sk180 or 2sk182 would work great in this overall topology if you pick some up soon, and the gain-stage boards being discussed would be just as useful.

I have THF-51S but their Ciss is ten times greater than Sony parts. It wouldn’t be the same result driving them with front end designed with Sony parts in mind. This design is synergy of two stages that are guaranteed to work well together.
It is not a problem to design FE with brutal driving capability but what would be the final result of combination is unknown.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oh, we are posting teaser photos today? Neat!!

Wow! that is a very nice chassis

I have just started assembling my V-FET kit from the first round. To maximize my chance of success with the V-FETs I've been practicing: M2, Pearl2, Aikido tube line stage :)eek: I like low voltage more) + various repairs of old stuff.

I might be inspired by the simple yet elegant looking front panel of this new V-FET amp. That should not be a problem I hope?

As everyone else I'm looking forward to the release of this new amp. Is it both P and N channels that will go in one release or will there be two releases? (I know I might not get and answer even though I am modest. I could easily dig up more questions :D)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There will be two main releases. First release, any minute now, is 90 amplifiers using
the P channel VFET. This release is complete kits including chassis, far as I know.

Second release, much the same except differences to accommodate N channel
devices. Same quantity.

Additional releases for those with TO-3 VFETs of their own - 2SJ288, 2SK82
and 2SJ18, 2SK60 and anything else similar. These partial kits will also accept
various TO-3 FETs with the same pinout arrangement.

Also planned are pcb's supporting TO-247 package parts with store's UMS
mounting pattern.

:snail:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also, pics of channels you have seen are partial assemblies - given the unobtainium
status of the VFETs, I decided that the best approach is with the output stage
partially assembled - power transistors mounted and minimal board stuffing to
allow basic test. Don't worry - plenty of other parts left, and you still get to use
whatever special capacitor you have in mind....

:snail:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.