preamp for BA-3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

I was advised the BA-3 amp as Nelson Pass amps introduction because I have low sensivity 3W speakers: 85/87 dB sensivity with loads from less than 3 ohms to 8 ohms. Have also loudspeakers with 4 ohms load rated relativly flat with no hard or steep break in the phase curve but full of drivers to drive nearer than 90 db sensivity starving for curent and my very simple understanding as no tech background is the more V*A=Watts, the better.

Before this advice I lurked about something not too much expensive introducing the SET sound without the hassle and my likings push me more to want learn about SS than tubes. So I thought about SIT/Vfet, alas F5 and BA-3 were said to be more realistic due to the load of my speakers :(. -But BA-3 or F5 still Ferraris, not the Aleph J, VFet2/Sit 250 GTO but at least a Ferrari yet :D-

Sorry for the long introduction of it, my question please is about not to ruin the BA-3 (and any FW NP designs) due to the volume control/preamp I could marry to it. I do not playback vynils and my DAC has no electronic digital volume control, so "good"volume control is mandatory.

What about a Muses control Kit for instance with or w/o Korg nutube kit to have a flavor of SET sound as the Aleph J or SIT/Vfet 2 are not advised with low efficienty classic speakers ?

My interest could be one day to use it in an active amps conf. My ref amp today is a nuclear central though has clarity : A Chord amp from the early 90s with sorted outputt Mosfet, SMPS powered- 200 W 8 ohms. So I have control but certainly no refinment.

Many thanks in advance for each of your answers, links.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
study BA3

with or without preamp based sugar, you can dial it (BA3) to your liking, once you grasp how to decode THD Spectra (decent sound card and few progs plus few resistors for attenuator)

logically, build BA3 , then build form that

of course , when you read recommendation for BA3, you were aware of fact that we were talking about ability to drive tougher loads, while - basically, with +/-24Vdc rails , you still have 25W/8R , and 50W/4R

do your homework and think - is it 50W enough for your needs....... , that's necessary starting point

with higher rails and accordingly set Iq ( thinkong of dissipation per device etc.) you can get higher output power, though everything must be well thought , starting backwards - preferred power, number of outputs in OS, rails, then cap banks, then VA of Donuts, then case(s)

it is Legoland if you don't want basic,, without straying from well known ...... when you want to improvise and stray out, be prepared to buy few bigger Lego packages and combine them

in any way, we are here to help ........ (and me, mostly to amuse and abuse and confuse :clown: )

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks Zen Mod,

The complicate thing to understand with my limitd nowledge is how a loudspeaker tower is asking during transcients and sudden high spl playbacks. AT the average relativly low domestic spl volume I listen to, most of amplifiers are ok, while the weaker will distorss cause nearer from their limits I assume... I'm more woried by possible clipping due to bad marriage :umbrella:

I will google about that, yah !

Edit : I was a Lego fan as a kid... oh and always is :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Edit, thanks Dennis, I almsost forgett to thank you due to the post before yours. I'm going to read, thanks.

Is is really necessary to put the CV-19 stuff in your signature?

I, for one, come here for a pleasant diversion from the 24/7 coverage and fear-mongering that is readily available everywhere else.

Uh... 2 answers for that : it comes from the time people were not so informed. Second, if ocasional reader (not necesarily from your State/country falls on it and it can save only one life, I hesitate to supress it for the moment.... oh a third, some may still think it's not real being in deny yet :yikes: (and eventually don't think to others in their dementia).
So no diversion, don't be paranoid please. But if a mod asks me, for the moment I'm not prompt to remove these two good sources of daily updated informations source.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.