Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Pearl 2 Crackling on Left Channel
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2020, 02:43 AM   #11
hirscwi is offline hirscwi  United States
diyAudio Member

I replaced the ZVP3310 along with the CCS (Q10 and Q11 - ZTX450). It seems to be working just fine now.

I do have a question about zeroing the DC at the test point (using P1). The closest I can get to 0 is about 25mV and it sometimes climbs to 200 mV after a few minutes. Is this normal? I am measuring with the cartridge connected to the circuit.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 13th June 2020, 02:57 AM   #12
codyt is online now codyt  United States
diyAudio Member

I recall that being normal when I built mine. I did end up putting a bit of capacitance in series with R14, which keeps offset rock solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirscwi View Post
I replaced the ZVP3310 along with the CCS (Q10 and Q11 - ZTX450). It seems to be working just fine now.

I do have a question about zeroing the DC at the test point (using P1). The closest I can get to 0 is about 25mV and it sometimes climbs to 200 mV after a few minutes. Is this normal? I am measuring with the cartridge connected to the circuit.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 13th June 2020, 11:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2020, 12:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

For what it's worth, I had to replace both ZVP3310s because I was getting quite a bit more gain from the right channel after replacing the ZVP3310 on the left channel. Must have been different gain codes?
Old 15th June 2020, 05:22 AM   #15
mymindinside is offline mymindinside  United States
diyAudio Member

Hirscwi, what precautions did you take to keep the ZVP3310 ESD safe while installing it?
I'm starting on my Pearl2 and dont want to fry mine while stuffing the boards..

One method i've seen recommended is to short the gate pin to source (with foil or a clip). I do have a wrist strap but am not sure where to connect it on my workbench, don't have an accessible ground point.

Just in case, i do have some spares...
Old 15th June 2020, 11:50 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I used wrist straps connected to ground of house wiring.
Old 16th June 2020, 02:02 AM   #17
mymindinside is offline mymindinside  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah ok, ��
Old 30th June 2020, 04:57 AM   #18
Super_BQ is offline Super_BQ  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Super_BQ Send a message via Yahoo to Super_BQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirscwi View Post
For what it's worth, I had to replace both ZVP3310s because I was getting quite a bit more gain from the right channel after replacing the ZVP3310 on the left channel. Must have been different gain codes?
After uncovering my Penultimate Zen (aka Zen v4) monoblocs. I've discovered 1 channel is also louder than the other. It's quite noticeable with Klipschorns. The affected amp also seems to show little mid-range sound.

Will double check if the cables could be the source of the problem because i'm not keen on unsoldering all the TO-247 IRF transistors (3 per board x 2 as i'm running 2 boards per channel in balanced mode).

I do know the Zen v4 uses the same ZVP3110 and ZTX450 transistors. I have plenty of spares for which they were purchased around the same time I built these monoblocs (circa 2002).
Old 1st July 2020, 02:10 AM   #19
Super_BQ is offline Super_BQ  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Super_BQ Send a message via Yahoo to Super_BQ
OK - all is fixed.

https://i.imgur.com/Ogn6HsD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/srXuGwE.jpg

As I suspected, bad ZVP3310A input mosfet. I had 40V showing on the input +
Being in monobloc config, I tested each side individually, clearing the 1 was like half the output and slightly distorted.

Pearl 2 Crackling on Left ChannelHide this!Advertise here!