Threshold FET repair story.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi: If I were in your shoes, I would use the following InterFET IFN5565 at Mouser. As a nominal drop-in replacement for the 2N5566, no lead swapping or other creative solutions will be required, which may be an asset if your tech's competence is questionable :).

The right part will be less expensive over the long run than paying for multiple repairs or board damage because of assembly errors.

OTOH, these "replacement semiconductors" are almost never an exact replacement for the original, but hopefully there won't be any unpleasant surprises.

IFN5565 InterFET | Mouser

Last edited:
+1
While I understand your tech has to make a (good) living, needlessly desoldering and soldering components may damage the circuit board.

Took it to a new tech, and he seems a lot more as the right one for this.

When he got it, he asked right away if we should take a look inside (nice.. he took the time), he was really interested in helping me.

The other tech said that the problem was the unit itself (when he looked at it the first time visually), and did not even bother looking more into the powersupply, which I found a bit odd (but he was the tech, not me, so ok, fine you must be right)..
When I went to his place to pick it up he told me that I should tell the new tech that all he needed to do was changing these 8 transistors, thats it!

The new tech opened the powersupply and saw it had been opened before (a screw was missing on the inside print). He measured it and found that it pushed to much power, and thats why there was some humming from the supply (I hope I got it right).

He told me that he will fix it, and then new electrolytic caps are needed also (just as you said here on DIYaudio)

Now im waiting to hear from him again.

Im quite calm with the fact fact that its in his hands now. :wiz:

Last edited:
Hi: If I were in your shoes, I would use the following InterFET IFN5565 at Mouser. As a nominal drop-in replacement for the 2N5566, no lead swapping or other creative solutions will be required, which may be an asset if your tech's competence is questionable :).

The right part will be less expensive over the long run than paying for multiple repairs or board damage because of assembly errors.

OTOH, these "replacement semiconductors" are almost never an exact replacement for the original, but hopefully there won't be any unpleasant surprises.

IFN5565 InterFET | Mouser

Thanks for the info. Indeed it has to be done right the first time.
Right now all I know is that the powersupply is not functioning correctly. Maybe its not the transistors.. I dont know yet..

Will keep the IFN5565 in mind, if it gets to the point of the transistors need fixing, the 2N5566 that is. :)

I got the preamp back yesterday.

The tech found that there was spilled some solder on the print on the pre. After it was removed, everything works as it should.

Transistors are fine. He had it powered on a couple of hours after the fix, and no hizz/popping noises.

The tech suspects that the electrolytic caps have been changed before, and they measured very good. So nothing has been changed in the pre, only removing of this little piece of solder - well.. what can I say to this.

Well, then I will say: Congratulations with the new tech - and a fully functional amp :)

This story reminds me of some of the experiences I have had with car mechanics through the years, success rate is so low that I have more or less given up - yet another area of DIY ;-)

Happy listening!

Well, then I will say: Congratulations with the new tech - and a fully functional amp :)

This story reminds me of some of the experiences I have had with car mechanics through the years, success rate is so low that I have more or less given up - yet another area of DIY ;-)

Happy listening!

I am very happy. The new tech is really fantastic - a guy that REALLY loves what he is doing, it shines through his eyes, its great!

- I have learned to focus on giving the faulty unit to a tech, and never thinking of possible problems, sooner og later I will find out.

- Never trust a tech, same goes for the mechanic.

I really CANT BELIEVE that the first tech actually lied to me!! I was close paying him 133€ for the repair of these transistors + a “relay”.. omg.. I will call him and have a little chat for sure, in a nice manner, im never going that low.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
when something is out of your specialty area , all ( and everything) you need to do is to be smart when choosing whom to pay for that work ; after that , it's best to leave things in hands of that person , being interested just in outcome

finding proper person for work is matter of being informed in/about reputation , not in technique

if you end with that sort of experience that you can't trust a tech , you weren't properly informed ..... simple as that

Happy ending!
Maybe you should share the good guys with your Danish colleagues in order to save them the indignities of confronting bad guys with "100's of years of experience fixing B&O gears"! :)

The good guy is only doing it as a hobby.

The bad one.... is Quan’s Tv Service in 9800 Hjørring.

But maybe other people have had a good experience with him - this is my personal one.

when something is out of your specialty area , all ( and everything) you need to do is to be smart when choosing whom to pay for that work ; after that , it's best to leave things in hands of that person , being interested just in outcome

finding proper person for work is matter of being informed in/about reputation , not in technique

if you end with that sort of experience that you can't trust a tech , you weren't properly informed ..... simple as that

I heard good things from others... so I trusted him. But also I did understand that he was not a hifi-guy - anyway he had to be able of doing the job.

And you are right, I wanted to do a bit myself. Only because I knew that he did not know sound-wise - Should have searched a bit more. ;)

The good guy is only doing it as a hobby.

The bad one.... is Quan’s Tv Service in 9800 Hjørring.

But maybe other people have had a good experience with him - this is my personal one.

Second red flag: Tv. But then again, I think it's hard to find an audio repair person nowadays, especially in expensive countries like Danemark or... Switzerland! :)

I currently own 2 guitar amps: one I paid, the other I found in a dumpster. It's a Fender Champ, not working. I took it apart only to find the power switch needs a bit of cleaner spray. Effective repair time: 30 sec., total repair time: 3 hours.

Second red flag: Tv. But then again, I think it's hard to find an audio repair person nowadays, especially in expensive countries like Danemark or... Switzerland! :)

I currently own 2 guitar amps: one I paid, the other I found in a dumpster. It's a Fender Champ, not working. I took it apart only to find the power switch needs a bit of cleaner spray. Effective repair time: 30 sec., total repair time: 3 hours.

Well he does more than tv’s, but I thought the same from the beginning.. “tv”.. ooh, Mmm, ahh.. should have gone with that thought :eek:

I want to let you know the one who fixed it in the end, but since its not a company, it really does not matter. But he’s from North of jutland (the top of Denmark). I know he uses this site actually, but dont know his Alias in here if so. Maybe I can make him say hello and tell in more detail about what was wrong - Im just the messenger right ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.