Considering First Amp Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Haven't built one... I'd like to, but at this point there are no less than four preamp and/or headphone amp projects currently being worked on. (Wayne's 2018 BAF presentation, Nelson's B1 with Korg NuTube, ZenMod's Iron Pre, and one I can't talk about yet...)

My pile of stuffed, tested and working beautifully amplifier circuit boards is getting somewhat humorous in it's size. I've made all the guides in the same 2 chassis... I just swap them out as necessary.

GAAudioLVR - You can't go wrong with the Aleph J, and very much can go right with it. I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically recommend it.

As for building it, there will be transistor kits in the store shortly. Get a deluxe chassis and a back panel kit, that will greatly simplify the entire procedure. Amp PCB, PSU PCB,

Toshiba Jfet - Toshiba 2SJ74 LAB MATCHED QUAD to 0.03mA / 4mV (7-8mA Range) | eBay

He's expensive, but they are genuine. (It's still cheaper than tubes...)

Antek makes the AS-series of transformers, they are shielded and work great. AS-4220 will get you a couple extra volts to make you amp actually have 25v rails. :)

The build guide Aleph J illustrated build guide is starting to look a little old, but nothing has changed, so it's still good. I will be making an updated guide in the future, but don't wait around for it!

Jump in, the water's fine. :D :D :D

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As 6l6 said in post 21 above Aleph J is a great amp...more importantly, the source he lists for Jfets is legit, get you j74 differential pairs NOW, and I would strongly suggest several matched pairs of sk 170 and j74 Jfets.

If you want big amps, buy enough parts and boards for 2 BA3 amps. Build one now. Listen to it. If you like it, build another, wire them each as mono blocks. That ought to scratch that itch until you buy XA 30.8 amp. That should give a good 100 watts per channel. Use Deluxe 5 size cases.

Russellc

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the Aleph J, and very much can go right with it. I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically recommend it.

Ditto.

The BA1 is in the Aleph J sound territery, the BA2 o/p has better drive into low impedance - adds dynamics but has less warmth; swap out the BA2 f/e for the BA3 and that will put you more towards the F5 style sound; The BA is a flexible amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.