Experience setting up LX-Mini Xover for SW use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Built the kit a few months ago and it was meant to be used for my pair DIY Ripole SW's paired with a pair of Spatial M'4s. I also use a single Vandersteen 2w SW which is more than 20 years old, still fully functional. My main amp. is a FW F4, factory made, which is almost 10 years old. It might have been built by Nelson himself. Preamps- BA-3 LS and Supratek Chardonnay tube LS. BTW, the Ba-3 does not have anything to envy the Supra.

So, the Ripoles are driven by a a Crown Class D stereo amplifier, XLS 1500. Before building the LX-Mini I used a MiniDSPHD 2x4 digital xover. I still have it and won't sell it because it is a marvelous, practical and necessary tool for experimenting with xover frequencies, slopes and other filters. And really sounds pretty good, the LX being more transparent.

So after building the LX and installing it in the system it did not seem to work very well with it. The Ripoles had had a strange resonance and noise even before the LX
and these were worse with the LX. The Mini has the advantage of setting up notch filters and the LX does not, to my knowledge. After experimenting, xover frequency was set at 100 hz for both sections with the requisite phase inversion in the SW connections.

Not having the supposedly necessary notch filter to lessen the 200-300 hz resonance of the Ripoles, I built a set of LC passive filters and installed them across the SW inputs. Using the LX there were a few iterations with the filter capacitors, until, I believe, the resonance was tamed. The volume level of the woofers was set using the Vandersteen sw as a reference. Although it is a mono SW it gave me an idea as to what to watch for.

And why would I forsake a good proven sw like the Vandersteen for 2 diy subwoofers? Mostly because I could see the virtues of stereo subwoofers and the 2w is a very big ugly box that you cannot hide very well. The pair of Ripoles are very unobtrusive and sound pretty good. This took a few months of listening and work and my main advise is that a digital xover is very helpful to ascertain the various set up options.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.