Build options and tech questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aleph J, very nice.
Bablefish J or Bablefish M25 also very nice.
F5 also excellent in a different way.

I'd recommend the BA2 front end to get a taste of the J sound, plus the BA complementry output stage (or F4) for low impedance drive.

Later, you could try different gain stages and end with a totally different sound from the amp, without the added expence of a new PSU, output stage, heatsink & chassis.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
M2 is beautiful creature to be sure. Most of sonic magic from iron, I think. Electronic magic is optocoupler bias setting rig. Very pleasant sound, can be powerful sounding, maybe a little soft on frequency extremes with more difficult to drive speakers, but still quite transparent. Excellent 3D imaging.

BA3 is a different amp, I am using 30 volt rails from a 24/24 volt 1000VA transformer.
It is much more flesh and blood than say F5, warmer, excellent imaging as well. It has no difficulty driving aforementioned speakers, 86 dB 7 inch 2 ways. BA3 also has P3 to adjust second order distortion, which 6L6 described as from very clean and very low distortion, to a somewhat warmer presentation.

I am currently getting ready to build Zenmods M25, which should clean up any "problems" my M2 is having with trickier loads. (Not really a problem, very pleasant actually, just dont know how else to characterize.) Of all I have built, M2, Aleph J and BA3 complementary version are my favs. Havent finished Vfet, J2 clone or F7 clone, this may change things up?

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.