Karma and Kicad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many years ago, when Kicad was still in its infancy, I gave it a try, because I liked the concept of free/open ware

I have to admit to downloading quite a bit of freeware.
Sometimes its good and other times terrible.
The problem with free software is the amount of time needed to create a good product.
The expensive products have had numerous people working on them for a long time.
Freeware tends to be one man doing it in his free time.
However sometimes when a company moves on to bigger and better software the old version is given away free as a taster for the new software.
An example of this was the CAD software RS Components was giving away which was created by EasyPC. The free version is OK, just, but there paid for version is around £400 but much better.

When flipping components between layers by keyboard shortcut "F", components move their position which is bad, they should stay at their origin position and just switch layer.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The component must be mirrored around either the X axis or the Y axis when it is moved from the front of the board to the back. Kicad chooses the Y axis. If the component's anchor is at the centre of its Y extent then it won't move; if it's not then it will shift (the anchor will not move).

One could argue that we should flip around the geometric centre rather than the anchor, but that just brings a different set of issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.